cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[5D Mark III] Why begins my custom file name with an underscore

Generaldirektor
Apprentice

Hi everybody,

I am confused. I have set up a custom file name (Menu Screen: "Set Up 1" -> "User Setting 2") with 3 individual letters and the used image size. I set it up as "RAW" so the output should be like "RAWL0001.cr2" but the filenames are always using underscores instead of the first custom letter:  "_AWL0001.cr2".

I have also tried the "User Setting 1" which has 4 individual letters and no indication for the image size within the file name.

Same here.

What baffles me most, is that the manual states that it is not allowed to use an underscore on the first position.

Anybody an idea?

Regards,

Oliver

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cicopo
Elite

Look up "Setting the Colorspace" in your manual.

You've set the camera to shoot in ADOBE RGB which isn't advisable for the majority of users.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

cicopo
Elite

Look up "Setting the Colorspace" in your manual.

You've set the camera to shoot in ADOBE RGB which isn't advisable for the majority of users.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Hi cicopo,

Thx! That was it.

I havent thought in that direction.

Yes, I am using Adobe RGB color space (and for a reason).

At least now I know that nothing is wrong and I can find a workaround for the naming (which will be something like a placeholder for the first position, because this will be replaced anyway).

Thanks again and all the best,

Oliver

Glad to be of help. As long as you know you need to use Adobe RGB it's a good way to verify thatwhat you're getting.

If you shoot RAW, colorspace doesn't matter. sRGB or AdobeRGB is the same for RAW, it only applied to JPEG.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Many thanks...who knew?

RobBuck
Contributor

Thank you for asking this, I am experiencing the same issue! I never would have thought that the color space would affect the file name? Still baffled but I also just changed my color space back to sRGB and hope the issue is now resolved.

@RobBuck wrote:

Thank you for asking this, I am experiencing the same issue! I never would have thought that the color space would affect the file name? Still baffled but I also just changed my color space back to sRGB and hope the issue is now resolved.

The only compelling reason for the ability to control the file names is to avoid name conflicts when you're using more than one camera. Once you get the files under the control of a photo editor, you can rename them anything you like.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements