cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark III Video Problem -- Help Needed!

maxdzim
Apprentice

Hello,

Been using my 5D Mark III for video for about a month now. I noticed a problem occurring in the middle of certain shots where the color seems to shift. The problem is so slight that it will take full screen, full HD and a high level of concentration to detect. I believe the most obvious occurence is at 28 seconds where the valley below suddenly takes on a different color. Here is a video of my issue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw9IHYkUEqQ

I run these settings:

Manual Focus

Aperture, ISO: Manually set

Shutter Speed: 1/50

1920x1080 ALL-I 24p

Picture Style: Faithful

Custom White Balance

Auto Lighting Optimizer: OFF

Highlight Tone Priority: OFF

High ISO Speed NR: OFF

I tried to see if these were detectible on the LCD screen on the camera, but to the naked eye they are not. The original .MOV files that were transferred from the camera show them.

Could it possibly be the Chromatic Aberration or Peripheral Illumination Correction? I have not disabled these, and they are the only automatic settings that I can think of that would be changing mid-shot.

I believe ISO was set to 100 for these shots.

Any ideas what might be causing this? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Max

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I tested it on several devices and it appears that it's an issue with my primary monitor. I will definitely test on multiple devices next time I have an issue. Thank you for all the help!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

This looks completely normal.  I don't see a problem.

Be aware that our atmosphere has diffractive properties just like a lens.  When the sun is at or near the horizon it's going to bend light differently depending on the wavelength (i.e. color) of that light.   Colors in the atmosphere and on the ground (since the only way it gets to the ground is to go through the atmosphere) will vary depending on where you point the camera and the position of the sun.  As the sun rises it wont take such a angled path through the atmosphere and this effect is greatly diminished.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks for looking at my footage and writing the thoughtful reply. Good info. Quick question -- did you not notice anything, or did you notice the color shifting and see it as a normal occurence? The problem is so slight and quick that it will take full screen, full HD and a high level of concentration to detect. I believe the most obvious occurence is at 28 seconds where the valley below suddenly takes on a different color. If you didn't notice this before, would you mind taking another look? I truly appreciate your help.

Thanks again,

Max

I have a color-calibrated monitor (ColorMunki).  I set the video to 1080p, full-screen, and I went over and over the video.  I honestly don't see it.  I especially went through the section from around the 20-second through the 35 second mark over and over watching for a shift at the 28 second mark... I never saw it happen even going slow and very carefully looking for it.  

From time to time I'll see very subtle compression artifacts (and those are most likely from YouTube or the video editing software) but still not color shift.

My other passion is astronomy... that's why I naturally consider whether you're noticing dispersion effects caused by the low angle of the sunlight passing through the atmosphere. 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Well thank you very much for trying. I suppose it might be more accurately described as a very faint brightening. They almost seem like tiny exposure changes, like it darkens when the sun is in the frame and brightens a bit when the sun leaves the frame.

Here is what I consider to be the biggest example, around 30 seconds in.

Before:

before.jpg

After:

after.jpg

It's very slight but the second image is a bit brighter. I'm glad to hear that it's not noticeable!

I tested it on several devices and it appears that it's an issue with my primary monitor. I will definitely test on multiple devices next time I have an issue. Thank you for all the help!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements