cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark III - Underexposed images

dgtl_nm8r
Apprentice

I just got a new 5D Mark III, and it seems to be underexposing images by about a full stop. I've tried all the metering modes, and it doesn't seem to change anything. Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,

Jm

22 REPLIES 22

MacPhoto
Apprentice
Canon's spot meter linked to AF point ONLY in it's $6800 body whereas Nikon does so in it's bottom feeder bodies.

You will be using more af points then just the center, now. You have to read the manual and learn how the metering modes are going to work based on your scene.

Lastly, canon recalled a bunch of original mark III bodies. If your six digit is 1 or 2, send it in. Seems like a silly thing. But get it done while it is in warranty, why not have piece of mind.

Good luck

Mykolas
Authority

Dgtl_nm8r,

There was a serivce advisory for the EOS 5D Mark III, but it was not related to the issue you are experiencing.  As a first step towards resolving this issue, we suggest that you restore the camera's default settings.  You can reset to the factory settings by following the procedure below: 

1. Press the MENU button.
  2. Select the [Tools #4] tab.
  3. Select [Clear All Camera Settings].
  4. Press the SET button.
  5. Select [OK].
  6. Press the SET button.

For reference, this information can be found on page 56 of your User's Manual.

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Heard of this problem with new 5D mk IIIs on other sites.  I would call Canon Support and arrange for them to calibrate the meter that way it will be dead on and you will be happy.

My experience with Canon Support is excellent!  In your case they should pay for the shipping and will likely have your camera back in about 7-10 days, at least than has been my experience each time.

Good luck

I have the same problem of underexposed images with my 5D3.  How restoring to the default settings would fix that problem?

Spoiler
I have the same problem of underexposed images with my 5D3. How restoring to the default settings would fix that problem?

It clears the garbage left by the firmware testers / engineers in settings area. Someone forgot to clear the NVRAM before shipping the software (ok, firmware) out.

Very annoying but not unexpected. However, one must be wizard to figure this without prior knowledge.

my 2c & HTH,

John Th.

I had an issue as well - except my new Mk iii was over exposing every image. Ran tests with like settings, and was consistently getting better color/images (other than sharpness) with my 7D/Tamron 18-270 than with the Mk iii and 300mmL! Wasn't pleased!!!  Found this site and tried the reset. It appears to have fixed the problem for me. Thanks!

HDCamTeam
Enthusiast

@dgtl_nm8r wrote:

I just got a new 5D Mark III, and it seems to be underexposing images by about a full stop. I've tried all the metering modes, and it doesn't seem to change anything. Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,

Jm

Hi Jm,

Did you find the cause of the problem? Does it happen in ALL shooting modes?

We use 5D3 and don't have any underexposing issues.

If you still didn't solve this, please provide more details, such exposure mode, lens used, etc.

Regards

HD Cam Team
Group of photographers and filmmakers using Canon cameras for serious purposes.
www.hdcamteam.com | www.twitter.com/HDCamTeam | www.facebook.com/HDCamTeam

I have restored my 5D3 to the default settings and did some tests.  I still have to overexpose by at least 0.7 to get a accurate picture.

Is it under-exposure in camera (see underexpose histogram on the back of your LCD) or when you import them into computer only? If you only see the underexposed image on Computer only, what is the software you use to open your image? Is it RAW or JPEG?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide
Announcements