cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark III Screen Will Not Turn On / Work when NOT TETHERED

beccacrawford
Apprentice

Hi! Ever since I started tethering my camera to my laptop for some photoshoots, when it isn't tethered, the screen on the back of the camera doesn't turn on / work, meaning I can't take any photos. It is just black. It doesn't always do this, but I am nervous that when I most need it to work (i.e. weddings etc), the screen just won't turn on / the shutter button is blocked.

Has this happened to anyone? I feel like it must be an issue with where the cable is inserted in my camera, should I just have it serviced...? Thank you 🙂 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Buffdog
Apprentice
Try switching to auto mode and see if the menu pops up mine had the same problem

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Try resetting the camera. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Try resetting the camera. 

how do you reset it...? 🙂

I can't even use the menu button on the camera..screen is totally dead..is there another way to reset?

@beccacrawford wrote:
I can't even use the menu button on the camera..screen is totally dead..is there another way to reset?

Unless there's something wrong with the camera, you must have blundered onto a setting that leaves the screen turned off after you disconnect. If you re-tether the camera, can you see it again via EOS Utility? (The way you described the symptoms suggests that you can.) You may at least be able to do a reset via the computer; if you're really lucky, you might be able to find the offending setting and change only that.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@beccacrawford wrote:

Unless there's something wrong with the camera, you must have blundered onto a setting that leaves the screen turned off after you disconnect. If you re-tether the camera, can you see it again via EOS Utility? (The way you described the symptoms suggests that you can.) You may at least be able to do a reset via the computer; if you're really lucky, you might be able to find the offending setting and change only that.

I agree with Bob.  I think it is more likely something you're doing, too.   It is possible that it is not a setting, just circumstances.

When you untether the camera from the computer, do you turn off the camera before you disconnect?  Many people do not think one needs to power down USB devices before disconnecting from a PC, but I do not.  Don't just simply pull the plug, if that is what you're doing.

When you disconnect the camera, make sure that you reverse the steps you took to tether it.  This means switching the EOS Utility out of tethered mode, so that the camera can disconnect from the live shooting mode.  Be sure to turn off the camera before disconnecting, and waiting for the EOS Utility to shut down before unplugging the USB cable.

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I can't help with that. Maybe a Mark III user will chime in.

Try removing battery and switching camera on. Then reinstall battery.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

thank you 🙂

You could also give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Buffdog
Apprentice
Try switching to auto mode and see if the menu pops up mine had the same problem
Announcements