cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark III Features Question

kbose007
Contributor

I just upgraded my camera from Canon 7D to Canon 5D mark III camera and I like some of its features, such as High ISO noise Reduction, Long Exposure Noise Reduction, Highlight Tone Priority, Auto Light Optimizer, etc. What I couldn't find anywhere in the manual or on the camera itself is which of these features only apply to JPG and which ones apply to both JPG and RAW fimage formats. Can someone please assist?

Thanks,

Kushal.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes for LENR and HTP in Lightroom.

No for the peripheral illum and CA correction. Lightroom has its own built-in corrections. I have never tested to see how they compare with Canon's.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@kbose007 wrote:

I just upgraded my camera from Canon 7D to Canon 5D mark III camera and I like some of its features, such as High ISO noise Reduction, Long Exposure Noise Reduction, Highlight Tone Priority, Auto Light Optimizer, etc. What I couldn't find anywhere in the manual or on the camera itself is which of these features only apply to JPG and which ones apply to both JPG and RAW fimage formats. Can someone please assist?

Thanks,

Kushal.

Those features apply to both formats.  The most basic difference is that after you download the files to a PC, RAW files can be more easily adjusted than a JPEG.  In fact, I only record as RAW, and disable all of those features in the camera because they can be selectively applied in post processing, frequently with better results.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for your quick response. I always use LR and/or Photoshop to reduce noise. I guess I will not use these features in my camera then and control it myself instead of camera controlling it.

To clarify, other than Long Exposure Noise Reduction (LENR) and Highlight Tone Priority (HTP), the other features are tagged in the RAW file, but do not alter the RAW image data, so you will only see the effect if you use Canon DPP. Lightroom will not apply the corrections. If you create in-camera JPEGs the DIGIC processor applies the corrections to the JPEGs.

LENR subtracts out the sensor noise from the image file, so it is good to do in camera.

HTP does perfrom some sort of modification to the actual image data, but I've never been able to find a good description online of what it actually does. Try som test imags with and without to see if you like te effect.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

So LENR and HTP does alter the RAW image file which I will be able to see in LR?

How about in-camera peripheral illumination and chromatic aberration adjustments on RAW files? Do these adjustments show up in Lightroom?

Yes for LENR and HTP in Lightroom.

No for the peripheral illum and CA correction. Lightroom has its own built-in corrections. I have never tested to see how they compare with Canon's.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@kbose007 wrote:
So LENR and HTP does alter the RAW image file which I will be able to see in LR?

Long Exposure Noise Reduction you will definately see in Lightroom.

Highlight Tone Priority will be dealt with in Lightroom, but, not necessarily exactly as it would with an in camera JPG or Canon DPP. 

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@kbose007 wrote:

Thanks,

Kushal.

Highlight Tone Priority and Long Exposure Noise Reduction are the only two that apply to the RAW file itself. 

All of the other ones, are applied at the time RAW to JPG conversion. The other ones are simply 'flags' that the converting software may or may not read and apply.

Canon Digital Photo Professional will read and automatically apply all of the flagged settings. Other programs, apply them to a very limited degree.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Are you sure about HTP Tim? My understanding is that the sensor response is altered such that the 1s and 0s are affected. Thus there is no flag and neither LR nor DPP know what was done. All they see is a data file. It's not a reversible process.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements