cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark III Causing Corrupt Cards?

BMJZ
Contributor

I can't seem to find any threads about people having a similar issue. Here's what's happening -

Canon 5D Mark III, using SanDisk CF cards, photographing in raw.  I reformat prior to every use.  Photographed for roughly 3 hours, could preview the photos with the card in the camera.  Camera behaves completely normally.  If I let the card sit in the camera for more than 15 minutes (ie traveling from location back to office) something happens to the card and upon trying to import files card shows no images.  Put the card back in the camera, camera says no images.  I can use SanDisk's recovery software and get the images off the card and they are fine.  This has happened twice in one month to two completely different cards. 

Anyone know if this is a known issue?  Planning to send the camera to Canon for repairs.

13 REPLIES 13

@BMJZ wrote:

Hi Tim,

Thanks I did send it in and Canon was able to fix it.  Told me there was damage to the pins and replaced the cf card insert.  I've got to reach out to them again though, because now that I have it back, it's not recognizing when I put SD cards in the slot so I can't double write my images.  Also, while this camera was out on repair, we had another camera with the same issue occur.  We carry our cameras in pelican cases but sometimes over rough terrain.  I'm wondering if all the bouncing is shaking something loose.

I'm hesitant to think it's user error from inserting the cards, I mean it's pretty straightforward. 

Thoughts?

Of course with an SD card, you have to make sure it didn't get accidentally locked.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yes, double checked and it was unlocked and still not recognizing the sd card.  😞

Did you ever get a satisfactory sollution @BMJZ? I just had this same issue occur with my 5D3. Waiting for PhotoRec to finish at the moment to see if the files can be dug up.

Interestingly, the photos shot two days ago and prior are still visable on the card, just the photos shot today are missing.

I am having a similar issue. With my cf card, shooting raw everything looks good in camera once I transfer to my laptop the images are damaged they have vibrant colors going throughout the image. This happened on two cf cards. my camera is less them a year old  and do not use the cf slot often but always have the card in the slot

Announcements