cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark II upgrade from Rebel SL1

amatula15
Enthusiast

Hi!

I purchased my first DSLR 2 years ago, a Canon Rebel SL1. With time and trial and error, I have come to learn the camera and improve my photography. I am predominantly a landscape/travel photographer. I am petite so the camera fits my hands well. 

I have upgraded to a 24 mm F2.8 IS USM lens which I love.

I am now thinking of upgrading to a Canon 5D Mark II which I can get used for a good price. Holding the 5D felt comfortable and I was amazed I was not shaking much despite the weight. Initially I would use my 24 mm lens with it. But I would love to get a wider zoom range, maybe 17 - (some range) at some point.

Would this Canon be a good upgrade from the Rebel with better image quality? Any reasons NOT to get it?

I am not sure if I will ever get published but would love to continue to grow as a photograper and perhaps submit photos down  the road for publication.

I appreciate any thoughts or lessons learned!

Thank you and happy 2020!

Annie

12 REPLIES 12

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The question to answer in your your mind is - what are you expecting the 5D Mark II to do for your photography that the SL1 won't do?

A consideration (not necessarily a reason not to get it) is that Canon no longer services the 5D-II. Should it need service you woud have to rely on an independent repair facility.

If you want wider field of view Canon has the 10-18mm zoom lens.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

" what are you expecting the 5D Mark II to do for your photography that the SL1 won't do?"

Hi John,
Thank you!

I am expecting/hoping landscape photography picture quality would be better being a full frame lens and the sensor would capture more of the image (?)

I would purchase through a camera dealer where I live. They offer a 6 month service warranty on it, which gives peace of mind.

Thank you and happy New Year!
Annie

@amatula15 wrote:

" what are you expecting the 5D Mark II to do for your photography that the SL1 won't do?"

Hi John,
Thank you!

I am expecting/hoping landscape photography picture quality would be better being a full frame lens and the sensor would capture more of the image (?)

I would purchase through a camera dealer where I live. They offer a 6 month service warranty on it, which gives peace of mind.

Annie

A lot of my landscape shots are panoramas.  I can create wider images with more detail than a normal photo.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@amatula15 wrote:

Hi John,
Thank you!

Annie

For landscape photography I don't believe you will see a quality difference between the two cameras. You can/should be shooting your landscapes using a tripod. Thus you can shoot at ISO 100. All things being equal (rarely the case) a full frame camera would have the ability to have less noise at higher ISOs, but the SL1 has a Digic 5 processor vs Digic 4 for the 5D. Thus the difference would be less than if both were Digic 4. 

The sensor would capture more of the image on a full frame sensor, but the 19-18mm lens I mentioned above will have the same field of view that the 16-35mm zoom gives on the 5D. 

Since you have a local dealer you seem to be comfortable with maybe you can arrange a refund period where you could try out the camera and see what you think. 

If you aren't printing wall size prints the SL1 is fully capable for digital, publication and up to 13x19 prints. 

The SL2 is an improvement on the SL1, but, depending on your use case, you may never see the improvement. 

Most important for advancement beyond amateur is perfecting your eye for compelling images. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you, John.
Those are good points and I appreciate your sharing!
Happy New Year,
Annie

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Normally I would say any 5 series is better than any Rebel.  In your case I might suggest you really think this over.  The two are very different platforms. One this the 24mm lens is going to be pretty wide on the 5D2.  Maybe too wide for general use.

The 5D2 is bigger, a lot bigger, and heavier.  If you have any Rebel lenses, ones that say EF-S, they will not work on a 5D2. 

It isn't going to produce significantly better photos.

How about looking at the SL2?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Ebiggs,
Thank you!
I am curious why you suggest the SL2 I read it has an improved sensor but wouldn't image quality still lag behind a full frame in landscape photography (which is what I do most)?
I appreciate your time and help!
Thank you, Annie

Annie said, "I am curious why you suggest the SL2"

Two reasons, the SL2 is the same size camera and secondly it will use all your current lenses. Now if neither of these is a factor, then a FF camera might be the right choice. Larger, heavier size camera and possibly can't use your current inventory of lenses.

The myth and down right lies about crop vs FF is mind boggling.  If we use just the logic you mention here, " image quality still lag behind a full frame in landscape photography", why stop with FF?  Why not medium format or perhaps large format?  Bigger is better, right?  Not necessarily, kido.

One reason to go bigger is if you want bigger prints.  Then a bigger sensor is better.  Making 8x10"s or 5x5's for a book, not so much if any better IQ with the FF vs crop camera. Then there is the new tech advantage.  Most of the time a newer current camera will out perform an older camera.  Hopefully anyway or why else advance tech?  The SL2 uses a more advanced image processing engine the DIGIC 7. The 5D Mark II uses a DIGIC 4 The DIGIC 7 has better noise reduction, color accuracy, and processing speed.  The SL2 will have gained technological advances over the 5D Mk II that make it possible to gather light more efficiently. The SL2 offers a higher resolution of 24 megapixels vs 21 MP.

WHat I am trying to say if maybe but maybe not.  Do your homework before you put down your dime.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you, ebiggs. I really appreciate this information and gives me much food for thought too. I will definitely do more homework 🙂
Thank you, again, and Happy New Year!
Announcements