cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark II upgrade from Rebel SL1

amatula15
Enthusiast

Hi!

I purchased my first DSLR 2 years ago, a Canon Rebel SL1. With time and trial and error, I have come to learn the camera and improve my photography. I am predominantly a landscape/travel photographer. I am petite so the camera fits my hands well. 

I have upgraded to a 24 mm F2.8 IS USM lens which I love.

I am now thinking of upgrading to a Canon 5D Mark II which I can get used for a good price. Holding the 5D felt comfortable and I was amazed I was not shaking much despite the weight. Initially I would use my 24 mm lens with it. But I would love to get a wider zoom range, maybe 17 - (some range) at some point.

Would this Canon be a good upgrade from the Rebel with better image quality? Any reasons NOT to get it?

I am not sure if I will ever get published but would love to continue to grow as a photograper and perhaps submit photos down  the road for publication.

I appreciate any thoughts or lessons learned!

Thank you and happy 2020!

Annie

12 REPLIES 12

If you want to sell your work, you need to offer something people can't get somewhere else.  One big problem is sometimes they can get it for free so yours must be worthwhile.  In our current environment this is very difficult. It is on the verge of impossible.  A lot of the time just the love of the hobby can propel you to the level that is seen as worthwhile to the market. WHat I am saying, do photography for the love of it. The rest may or may never fall in place. However, you will still be happy.

Annie have a very happy new year and go out and shoot and shoot and................

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I am not sure if I will ever get published but would love to continue to grow as a photograper and perhaps submit photos down  the road for publication."

WHat does this mean?  You can "publish" anything you want.  There are resources that will do that for you. There is Facebook and others, etc.  I've done a couple books myself.

Are you meaning having someone buy your photos? Weddings, events, etc.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Ebiggs,
Yes, I dream of having my photos submitted for publication (landscape).
Thank you! 🙂
Announcements