cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark II and 01 Error message - lens repair estimate?

joshL
Contributor

I'm using a little used 5dMarkii with a 24-105mm L series IS lens. I have not used the camera in months and today after a few shots I got the 01 Error message saying to clean the contacts. They werent dirty to begin with and cleaning didnt help. Error seems to happen only when the focal length is set over about 70mm. Clearly from what I've read this is an issue of poor engineering or workmanship, given the number of internet questions about it. Canon Customer Service would not tell me what it will cost to fix, even though they've surely done the same repair thousands of times. I need to spend money and time shipping my rig to VA to find out something they should know immediately. So, can anyone here tell me what it will cost to ostensibly replace the aperture mechanism or whatever needs to be replaced? The Canon rep gave me a range of repair cost pricing but couldn't say where along the range my repair will fall. $189 for a minor repair and I think she said $349 for a major repair. Please only respond if your lens is, or is similar to, the 24-105mm L series. Thank you.

16 REPLIES 16

OK, thanks for the info

"2. Press and hold down shutter release for 30 seconds."

I think that procedure causes the camera to do a cold start, and completely reboot itself.  It has nothing to do with batteries.  It is similar to holding down the power key on a Windows PC.

Your camera sounds like it has seen better days.  I’m not sure if Canon US still services that model.  It may be time for a replacement.  

The Canon Online Refurbished Store used to have the 6D on sale, but they seem to be out of stock.  They used to have the 5D3 for sale, but now it is not even offered anymore.  They 6D2 is a great enthusiast camera.  The 5D4 is the most logical replacement, but the performance comes with a price tag.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

From Canon

Power Reset

1. Make sure the camera is off, and then remove the battery, memory card, and lens.

2. Close the battery/memory card doors.

3. Turn the power switch to the "ON" position, and then press and hold down the shutter button for 10 seconds.

4. Release the shutter button, turn the power switch to the "OFF" position, reinsert the battery, memory card, and attach the lens.

5. Power the camera on.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

From Canon

Power Reset

1. Make sure the camera is off, and then remove the battery, memory card, and lens.

3. Turn the power switch to the "ON" position, and then press and hold down the shutter button for 10 seconds.

4. Release the shutter button, turn the power switch to the "OFF" position, reinsert the battery, memory card, and attach the lens.

5. Power the camera on.

Exactly, that is called a “cold start”.  After the initial power-up cycle, power switch is merely a “warm start.”  Unfortunately, you do not seem to understand the nuance of what I am talking about.

It does not drain the battery.  This procedure is performed with the battery REMOVED.  It does not drain the battery.  BTW, rapidly and forcibly draining batteries has a strong tendency to destroy them, anyway.

Stick to photography.  Electronics is not your field.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

From Canon

Power Reset

5. Power the camera on.

Exactly, that is called a “cold start”.  After the initial power-up cycle, power switch is merely a “warm start.”  Unfortunately, you do not seem to understand the nuance of what I am talking about.

It does not drain the battery.  This procedure is performed with the battery REMOVED.  It does not drain the battery.  BTW, rapidly and forcibly draining batteries has a strong tendency to destroy them, anyway.

Stick to photography.  Electronics is not your field.

There is obvious confusion arising over this procedure.

Obviously it doesn't drain the battery because this is carried out with no battery fitted.

What the procedure is attempting to do is drain the super capacitor that hold a small charge which enables the camera to retain clock and user setup settings whilst the battery is removed.

By doing this you are in effect making the camera revert to factory settings.

It was much easier with older cameras that had a user changeable secondary battery used for retaining the clock/user settings. This is probably why people still refer to it as the clock battery when it is in fact a capacitor.

Incidentally holding the shutter button for 10 seconds may not be sufficient, most camera will need at least 30 seconds. With some cameras this procedure doesn't seem to work at all.

@joshL wrote:
I tried that and the aperture seems to stay constant as I zoomed. However the aperture stayed closed down after letting my finger off the DOF button, and pressing it again opened it partially or all the way, intermittently. Do you strongly recommend that Canon fix this lens or is a good repair person just as good? I have used Authorized Camera Repair in Willow Grove PA.

That sounds like a sticky DOF button, not a lens issue. Whether that could cause the error message, I wouldn't know. But if those are your only symptoms, it suggests that most of the replies you've been getting may be barking up the wrong tree.

Incidentally, if you live near Willow Grove, the Canon regional repair facility in Jamesburg NJ is only about an hour's drive away. Assuming that Canon still services the 5D2 (call ahead and ask), that's where I'd take it. I've taken stuff there half a dozen times and have always gotten excellent service.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Well,...I just got the Err 01 on the 24-105 lens.  Where did you get your parts?  I'd like to give it a go.  Thanks.

Announcements