cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark II and 01 Error message - lens repair estimate?

joshL
Contributor

I'm using a little used 5dMarkii with a 24-105mm L series IS lens. I have not used the camera in months and today after a few shots I got the 01 Error message saying to clean the contacts. They werent dirty to begin with and cleaning didnt help. Error seems to happen only when the focal length is set over about 70mm. Clearly from what I've read this is an issue of poor engineering or workmanship, given the number of internet questions about it. Canon Customer Service would not tell me what it will cost to fix, even though they've surely done the same repair thousands of times. I need to spend money and time shipping my rig to VA to find out something they should know immediately. So, can anyone here tell me what it will cost to ostensibly replace the aperture mechanism or whatever needs to be replaced? The Canon rep gave me a range of repair cost pricing but couldn't say where along the range my repair will fall. $189 for a minor repair and I think she said $349 for a major repair. Please only respond if your lens is, or is similar to, the 24-105mm L series. Thank you.

16 REPLIES 16

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

This came up in another thread and since it costs nothing it MIGHT be worth a try.  Apparently this came from a technician.

Process for clearing Camera error messages:

1. Turn camera off. Remove lens, battery, memory card.
  2. Press and hold down shutter release for 30 seconds.
  3. Turn camera back on and insert in following order:
  4. Insert battery
  5. Insert Lens

I hope it works for you.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Should the shutter be held down while the battery is inserted?  I'm not sure what holding the shutter down will do if there's no power. Your steps seem to say to press the shutter for 30 seconds, release it, then insert the battery. Thanks.

"2. Press and hold down shutter release for 30 seconds."

This is supposed to drain all residual current from the camera.  i don't know if it actually works.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"2. Press and hold down shutter release for 30 seconds."

This is supposed to drain all residual current from the camera.  i don't know if it actually works.

Exaclty.  If it is just an error message issue you may fix it, but otherwise it's at no cost and seem without risk.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

thanks for the attempt but that does not work

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"They werent dirty to begin with and cleaning didnt help"

This never to very rarely ever works. The mere fact of mounting and removing the lens tends to keep the contacts clean. Plus if done wrong you can damage the contacts beyond repair.

I assume you have the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens?  I had two of them over the years and they made me a lot of money.  Neither one ever failed. Heavy use.  Little help, I now. Try the procedure in the previous post. I doubt it helps either but what have you got to lose?

"I need to spend money and time shipping my rig to VA ..."

I seriously doubt Canon will service a 5D Mk II so there is no point in sending it along with the lens. Also keep in mind another lens to replace yours is in about the $400+ range.  Maybe a good time to think upgrade to the new model.  It is a good upgrade.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Ray-uk
Whiz

@joshL wrote:

Error seems to happen only when the focal length is set over about 70mm. Clearly from what I've read this is an issue of poor engineering or workmanship,

If it was an issue of poor engineering or workmanship then I would think it may have happened earlier in it's life.

The problem you have sounds like a broken ribbon cable within the lens, a common fault with many lenses as they get older because although it is a flexible cable it gets flexed every time the zoom is moved, eventually it wears out.

To check if this the problem, fit the lens to the camera, turn the camera on, set to manual mode, any shutter speed but an aperture of f22. Look directly into the front of the lens, not the viewfinder, hold down the cameras DOF button.

Now zoom the lens in and out, the aperture blades should be visible with just a small opening, as you zoom there will be a slight change in the size of the opening but if the cable has a break then the aperture opening will make rapid changes usually going from very small to very large.

It helps if you have bright light shining into the viewfinder when you are testing this, daylight will do, this will make it easier to see the aperture opening.

As for the cost of repair, I couldn't really tell you, because I have carried out this repair myself on my own 24-105 L. It is a common fault and any decent camera repair shop can do it. Because of the amount of dismantling involved I would guess than Canon would rate this as a major repair.

I tried that and the aperture seems to stay constant as I zoomed. However the aperture stayed closed down after letting my finger off the DOF button, and pressing it again opened it partially or all the way, intermittently. Do you strongly recommend that Canon fix this lens or is a good repair person just as good? I have used Authorized Camera Repair in Willow Grove PA.

If you can afford the higher cost then get Canon to repair it.

If you choose another repairer make sure that they are a proper camera repair workshop.

Do not choose the cheapest option like ebay where some people offer this repair for abot $50-$100.

There are certain routines that have to be followed when dismantling & reassembling this lens, if not carried correctly then it can result in serious misalignment of the internal elements. There are multiple posts on youtube showing how the repair can be done, every one that I have seen is wrong simply because people have done it without the correct service information.

Announcements