cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark II Acting weird.

Seven77
Apprentice
Hello everybody!

So, I am having some issues with my 5DM2.

To complete my story I should start by explaining that right now I am in Tokyo ta shoot some pictures. I just ended my studies and stopped by Japan before starting to live the rest of my life.

Normally I would stay here for the two upcomming months, but here is what happened.

Yesterday I wanted to shoot some pictures so I went out for a walk only to find that when I took out my camera, something was really wrong.

I couldn't start it up. When I flipped the power to ON, nothing would happen. I took out the battery while it still being ON and stuck it back in. The result was that when I do exactly that, I manage to start the camera but it would be stuck on the menu.

I didn't immidiately think something bad was going on, just that the camera is playing tricks on me and that later on it would be fine.

When I came home a few hours later, I took the camera out of my bag and figured out what the problem could have been.

Im using a "Case Logic" bag, which is waterproof. It's a 3 main pocket bag, camera in the middle and a lens on each side. I put this bag into a bagpack, and that's usually how I go along.

Now I found that the inside of my "Case Logic" bag was kind of moist. The camera and lens attached weren't really wet at all, but the space under it was moist. Both lenses on the side on the other hand were kind of, I wouldn't call it wet but had some semi-wet spots on it.

This all probably has to do with the fact that Japan at the moment is really moist and it has been raining a lot. I've never took out my camera in direct rain though.

Took out the battery and card and let everything open to dry.

The issue is, if I don't get this fixed fast, i'm gonna have to leave and go home. This would be really dissapointing seeing I worked hard to get here to take pictures.

I'm kind of tight on money as well...

I was just wondering if ANYBODY, could do anything to help me out. If it would happen that I really need to get this repaired, where should I go? What's a reasonable priced place and what could it cost me?

Any help or info could save my trip so it would be greatly appreciated.
Without this camera i'm a dead man.

I'm staying over a bit south of the Ginza district in Tokyo.

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Sven
7 REPLIES 7

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Wet is wet.  Water and cameras do not mix well with a good outcome.  If you got the "wet" inside that could be disastrous.

Try putting it on a warm, not hot, heating pad for a couple days.

Perhaps you might try a new Canon battery.  It may be faulty.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Seven77
Apprentice
Yea obviously.
But the camera itself wasn't even wet at all.

You'd figure that for the price I paid a few years ago for this camera it could atleast handle some moist area for a minor period of time...

Guess my best bet is to go to one of the Canon centers and see what's up?
Feels like my trip to Japan is gonna end here...

Seven77
Apprentice
Seems like a miracle happened.
Was just about to leave for Canon to take a look at my camera and tried to turn it on a last time and it seems to be fine!

Thanks for the help though man.

It dried out!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Peter
Authority
Authority
If you are staying in Tokyo for a longer time and need to I recommend to calibrate the camera and the lenses because of the price. 10 dollar in Tokyo and it will take less than a week. In Sweden 150 dollar.

Seven77
Apprentice
Thanks for the info!
Would you happen to know where in Tokyo they would be willing to do this for the price you said?

Also, if they would understand english to know what I actually want it would be great, since my Japanese is not that good.

Peter
Authority
Authority
http://photojpn.org/news/2010/04/canon-service-centers-in-japan/
I went to Shinjuku. 100-200 meters northeast of Tokyo Meteropolitan Government Building.

If you understand some Japanese I think it is enough. Autofocus and calibration is the same in Japanese. Write it down because it is easier for people to read than to listen.
Announcements