cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark 3 Shutter Release or Self-Timer Mystery

DesertAura
Contributor

My 5D Mk 3 is only three months old. The last few times I've shot with it, the shutter has demonstrated a mind of its own. I'll be walking with it on the tripod or have it hanging on the Spider Holster and I hear it taking photos!

As embarrassing as it might be, I'm hoping that it's just my own ignorance with the camera and not a real problem. Maybe I have a setting somewhere causing it.

I have it on Single Shot and was using the 2-second timer. There's no bracketing set.

Has anyone had this problem or have any ideas what might be causing it?

Wednesday I took about 60 shots of which five of them were of the sky, taken by the camera while I was walking around with it on the tripod, and one of a crooked landscape while it was hanging on the Spider Holster.

Today, I took 33 shots of which four of them were taken by the camera while it was hanging from my Spider Holster, just seconds apart.

It doesn't start doing it right off the bat.  Today I shot 19 photos before it started.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Bev

13 REPLIES 13

That is bizarre.   You may want to call Canon support to inquire about that.  You've done a good job pin-pointing the issue.  The Sun does put out nearly as much energy in infrared as it does in visible... but I would have expected the camera sensor wanted to see a very specific sequence of IR pulses... not just IR wavelengths in general.

While I don't often enable the IR sensor ... I don't recall the sunlight being an issue on my 5D III.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I've never enabled the IR sensor!

@DesertAura wrote:
I've never enabled the IR sensor!

You mentioned that you use the 2 second delay mode.  That mode also enables the IR sensor.  Any of the "delay" modes enable the IR sensor.   If you look at either the 10-sec or 2-sec timer options they have a symbol of the IR remote next to them.

If you use the 2 sec. delay mode to allow the camera vibration to settle down when shooting with a tripod then this also enables the IR sensor.  If you use a "wired" remote shutter release you can use the instant mode (since using pressing the shutter button on a wired shutter release wont shake the camera.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

That explalins why the IR sensor would be enabled.  However, I have used a wired shutter release before and the camera shutter fired on its own using it, as well.  At the time, I thought the problem was the cable remote (which was brand new and Canon brand), but this problem with the 2-second timer and IR sensor would seem to indicate the two conditions are related.  I'm relatively certain I would not have been using the self-timer with the cable remote.  As you said, it wouldn't make sense.

Does using Live View have any connection with the IR sensor?  Chances are fairly good that I switched to Live View in all circumstances before tripping the shutter, whether using the cable remote or the self-timer.

In any event, this certainly can't be normal behavior.  I know I'm not the only 5D III owner who uses the 2-second timer on a tripod in the sun!

Bev

Announcements