cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D MKIII FW 1.3.4 - FlashAir Eye-Fi

Joseole
Apprentice

I would like to integrate Wi-Fi into my Canon 5D MkIII.

Now, looking on-line - plenty of (old) stuff. Eye-Fi was leading the pack and the Pro-X2 was the product of joice. However this is EOLand the mobi version did not work. Now, there semed to be a mobi PRO but can't find anything 5D MKIII related and as it seemed Eye-Fi entered some sort of technology exchange with Toshiba last year - which is great. SanDisk had also some sort of licencing with Eye-Fi but SanDisk got bought by Toshiba several years ago (or something in that line).

Transcend Wifi SD card seemed to be even more challenging and I think they stop producting it too.

As it sounded Toshiba's FlashAir did not have the "fine tuning" capabilties of the Pro-X2. While I saw some press release reference on the Eye-Fi web-site in relationsToshiba's FlashAir W-02 and W-03 - can't find any relationship if FlashAir is going to work  on my camera. Toshiba also anounced the new much faster/higher capacity FlashAir W-04 several month ago.

Who has tested and what's wprking please?

Thank you & Cheers

Jose from DownUnder

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Joseole wrote:

I would like to integrate Wi-Fi into my Canon 5D MkIII.

Now, looking on-line - plenty of (old) stuff. Eye-Fi was leading the pack and the Pro-X2 was the product of joice. However this is EOLand the mobi version did not work. Now, there semed to be a mobi PRO but can't find anything 5D MKIII related and as it seemed Eye-Fi entered some sort of technology exchange with Toshiba last year - which is great. SanDisk had also some sort of licencing with Eye-Fi but SanDisk got bought by Toshiba several years ago (or something in that line).

Transcend Wifi SD card seemed to be even more challenging and I think they stop producting it too.

As it sounded Toshiba's FlashAir did not have the "fine tuning" capabilties of the Pro-X2. While I saw some press release reference on the Eye-Fi web-site in relationsToshiba's FlashAir W-02 and W-03 - can't find any relationship if FlashAir is going to work  on my camera. Toshiba also anounced the new much faster/higher capacity FlashAir W-04 several month ago.

Who has tested and what's wprking please?

Thank you & Cheers

Jose from DownUnder

If have neither tested or used those cards, but most have one thing in common.  They may not be as flexible as you might hope, or expect.  How useful those cards are really depends upon what you want to do. 

If you want to shoot a photo, and immediately share it to a social media page in JPEG format, then you find a use for one.  If you plan to shoot a series of pictures, and then upload them to a laptop wirelessly, those cards may not be up to the task.  

Research what any Wi-Fi card can and cannot do carefully.  Research whether or not the 5D3 can even support a Wi-Fi card.  If it does, it is most likely the Eye-Fi brand, and support for it does not come from Canon.

You're probably better off just buying the Canon Wi-Fi adapter because it can do everything, and do it well.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

bhill
Contributor

I have the eyefi mobi pro working in my Mk 3 V 1.3.5. Sorta...seems to work just fine transferring to my Android device, however, as soon as I switch to my BG-E11...the camera will not boot. Does not seem to work with a battery grip. All my stuff is Canon branded, so I am at a loss as to why. An I really cannot bug Canan as the manual pretty much says...Vendor. And they are not around any more. FWIW..it works perfectly in my 1Ds Mk 3. I have the Toshiba 32GB flash air on order to see if there is some hinky firmware issue going on.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I've tried different versions of the Eye-Fi and ... having used them, I now COMPLETELY understand why they went out of business.  

Shooting small JPEGs meant a delay of many seconds before the image shows up on the client.  Shooting RAW is ... torture.  It takes a crazy amount of time to transfer a single RAW image.  It's a very very slow protocol.

I ultimatley dumped it and got a CamRanger (but if you're not in a hurry ... I'd hold out for the CamRanger 2).

I have the original CamRanger ... the WiFi is NOTICEABLY faster than the Eye-Fi.   When you take a shot, you (very quickly) get a thumbnail of each shot ... and you tap the thumbnail to get it to pull across the full-size version of the file.  But even that is faster (the radio just seems to be much faster in general.  The Eye-Fi seems to use a low-power radio that takes a long time to transfer an image).

It also supported wired networking (it has an ethernet port) so if you want even faster speeds... that works too.

There is also a lot of other capabilities ... the remote software for CamRanger (works on phones/tablets or computers including mac & pc) will let you control focus, set up capture sequences, etc.  (Eye-Fi never had any of these features).

The CamRanger 2 pre-release info says it will support 802.11ac network ... with is MUCH faster (the bottleneck becomes how fast data can be saved to a storage device ... 802.11ac network is generally faster than local storage.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

bhill
Contributor
I looked at the Camranger..and the price was waaay to much. I found a better solution, for Android anyway, with DSLR Controller. I have loaded the firmware onto a TP Link lil router..amazing. But I would like to not have to schlep more gear around to be wireless..

@bhill wrote:
I looked at the Camranger..and the price was waaay to much. I found a better solution, for Android anyway, with DSLR Controller. I have loaded the firmware onto a TP Link lil router..amazing. But I would like to not have to schlep more gear around to be wireless..

There have been a couple of recent posts in the forum from users complaining odd behavior from their cameras, like no longer being able to select AF points.  As it turns out, they had all been using DSLR Controller software, which apparently downloads some software into the camera in order to function.  The camera worked when connected, but not so when disconnected.

bhill
Contributor
Interesting. I have not had any issues using DSLR Controller on the 5D's I have or my 1Ds mk3..and as the 1Ds mk3 uses a different locked down OS than the others, I wonder what might be happening. Regarding my EyeFi issue, I did read that some earlier refurbished cameras had this issue and Canon was repairing them gratis..something about a motherboard hardware issue. But my EyeFi issue does not quite fit the symptoms as this boot issue only occurs with the battery grip installed. Unless Canon did not test with this configuration.

@bhill wrote:
Interesting. I have not had any issues using DSLR Controller on the 5D's I have or my 1Ds mk3..and as the 1Ds mk3 uses a different locked down OS than the others, I wonder what might be happening. Regarding my EyeFi issue, I did read that some earlier refurbished cameras had this issue and Canon was repairing them gratis..something about a motherboard hardware issue. But my EyeFi issue does not quite fit the symptoms as this boot issue only occurs with the battery grip installed. Unless Canon did not test with this configuration.

I did not say it was an issue using DSLR Controller with the camera.  There seems to be an issue when you use the camera without it.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/6D-Can-t-switch-to-manual-AF-point-selection/m-p/266142/highl...

The EyeFi brand has not been manufactured for close to five years now.  I have no idea what article you read, but I wonder how old the articles were. I doubt if Canon is going to “repair” a camera to make it compatible with a device that has sold for several years, especially on a camera that is a decade old.  For your sake, I hope I am wrong.

Announcements