cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D MK IV - focus confirmation with third party lenses in MF mode

demogun
Apprentice

Hi guys,

Somewhere I read, that focus confirmation is notworking with third party lenses. I only read it once, so this is why I put this question here.

Is it true?

I have a Samyang (Walimex Pro) 50mm F1.4 AS UMC.

What I experienced is that confirmation (red blinking) is working with the kit lens in AF and MF mode as well. but not with the 50mm MF Samyang.

What do you think?

If it is true, do you know any solution maybe to ease focusing?

Thank you,

Attis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

lly3988
Rising Star

Is there focus confirmation chip on the mount ?

If negative, no focus confirmation.(top pic)

You may add EMF confirmation chip to achieve the result. (bottom pic)

capture-20171101-072142.png

capture-20171101-072646.png

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

lly3988
Rising Star

https://youtu.be/K3YV9RaBso0?list=PL335CA023DA605386

Just in case if you wanna adventure. (not quite)

Instruction regarding installation and programming in PDF are everywhere online. Initially, I program the focus adjustment value to 24-25 and it should be okay. Since the DOF of f1.4 is thin, after in-focus is confirmed by the chip, you may step down to f2.2 to 2.8 to allow more (accurate) focus tolerance. Or, use live view to confirm accuracy if you need to shoot wide open.

Manual focus photography is not for fast shooting. You will learn to be patient. Take your time and enjoy the art of photography.

One reminder : watch out the thickness of the shim cardboard. Thin cardboard is enought o hold the chip. If it is far too thick, you risk the chip crushing the pins on the camera.

Also I won't scratch the mount (as shown) to stick the cardboard on it for obvious reason. I use a toothpick and tiny droplets of superglue (gel type) and it works.

Enjoy.

Announcements