cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D MK IV - focus confirmation with third party lenses in MF mode

demogun
Apprentice

Hi guys,

Somewhere I read, that focus confirmation is notworking with third party lenses. I only read it once, so this is why I put this question here.

Is it true?

I have a Samyang (Walimex Pro) 50mm F1.4 AS UMC.

What I experienced is that confirmation (red blinking) is working with the kit lens in AF and MF mode as well. but not with the 50mm MF Samyang.

What do you think?

If it is true, do you know any solution maybe to ease focusing?

Thank you,

Attis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

lly3988
Rising Star

Is there focus confirmation chip on the mount ?

If negative, no focus confirmation.(top pic)

You may add EMF confirmation chip to achieve the result. (bottom pic)

capture-20171101-072142.png

capture-20171101-072646.png

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

lly3988
Rising Star

Is there focus confirmation chip on the mount ?

If negative, no focus confirmation.(top pic)

You may add EMF confirmation chip to achieve the result. (bottom pic)

capture-20171101-072142.png

capture-20171101-072646.png

Hi lly3988,

Thanks a lot for the answer. It looks logical, and I will try that. 🙂

Attis

@demogun wrote:
Hi lly3988,

Thanks a lot for the answer. It looks logical, and I will try that. 🙂

Attis

Do you have any experience doing that sort of work?  If not, I would strongly advise against attempting it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I read, that focus confirmation is notworking with third party lenses"

The confirmation is done by the lens talking to the camera.  It isn't the camera's fault if the lens can not 'talk'.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

BTW, the Samyang 50mm f/1.4 AS UMC Lens has no electronic coupling with the camera. Canon will never give focus confirmation in the viewfinder because of no electrical contacts.  Use live view to ensure accurate focus.

One more point, the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens is a better lens in all respects to the Samyang and is half the price with full AF.  Not to mention full auto aperture control.

EB

Hi ebiggs1,

Thanks for the answer.
I did not wanted to blame the camera or the lens. I thought I did something wrong 🙂
On the other hand, when I looked for a 50mm lens, I read a lot of tests and the samyang was sharper. That was the most important. otherwise the samyang is said to have less distortion and vignetting compared to the canon 1.8 stm, and its quality of bookeh is better.
Of course the price is better on the canon, and it has autofocus, which is a great thing, but I better prefer to have the sharper lens.

So, I don't think that I will switch to the canon lens.

Live view is the solution for now, as you said, so thanks for that.
I will do the trick lly3988 mentioned above, and then I can compare if the focus confirmation or the live view is better for me 🙂

Attis

"I read a lot of tests and the samyang was sharper."

"I don't think that I will switch to the canon lens."

That's too bad.  Because the Canon lens is a better lens in every way over the Samyang.  The so-called 'tests' are rarely accurate and especially not so in the real world life and use of a lens.  The pedigree of the 'tester' comes to question in every single one of them.

EB

I will mention EMF confirmation chips are not with out issues of their own either.  They have to be installed correctly (glued on!) and programed to a fixed focal ratio.

EB

I do not have any “L” series primes, except for the 100mm macro.  However, I do have a Canon 35mm, 50mm, and the 85mm.  Canon’s primes are razor sharp.

CD57BA11-758F-4187-A172-D3241162BF5A.jpeg

That was shot with my current “favorite” lens, the EF 35mm f/2 IS STM USM.  This prime is VERY sharp, and it has IS.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements