Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D MK IV, Dual Pixel Raw with third party lens

demogun
Apprentice

Hi guys,

I need some help here.

I have a canon 5D mk IV, and I bought additionally a Samyang 50mm f/1.4 AS UMC lens.

It takes great pictures, and it is without AF. So, sometimes (because I am in learning phase) I miss to set the focus correctly.

This is why I set the Dual Pixel Raw function on, so I thought I will be able to microadjust it in post.

But actually this is not the case.

I made some testing, and what I experience in DPP:

- DPR with kit lens with AF is fully working

- DPR with kit lens with MF is fully working

- DPR with Samyang lens (this lens is MF only) I could import the pictures to DPP, it is marked with the DPR flag in the thumbnail overview, and I can start the Dual Pixel Raw optimizer, but then it just keeps loading and never finishes. (no error message, grey screen instead of the actual image, and on the bottom left it says: In progress... Please wait.

I made a screenshot, you can see it below.

Has anyone experienced such problem?

Is it because DPR is not planned to work with third party lenses?

Or is it a SW issue with DPP?

Thanks for your kind answers!

Attis

DPR-DPP.PNG

6 REPLIES 6

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Best least stressful best answer for you is, buy a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens.  You problems will be over and you will have a better lens.  Fully automatic, super sharp, lens that is fully compatible with your Canon camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

mjuergens
Apprentice
Hi Attis,

I just experienced the same thing. The ability to modify dual pixel raw images only seems possible if they were taken with official canon lenses. I've been using Sigma lenses for a few years now and recently purchased a 5D MKIV. I was hoping to take advantage of the dual pixel raw feature but the restriction to only 1st party lenses is disappointed.

I am not a big DPP4 user but from what I understand DPP does not support any lens not made by Canon.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I am not a big DPP4 user but from what I understand DPP does not support any lens not made by Canon.

Nope.  Canon’s DPP software does not support lens correction third party lenses, nor files without lens data.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

IMHO, I can not see any logical reason to choose and use a Samyang 50mm f/1.4 AS UMC lens in favor of the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens.  It just may be the best $125 lens made, IMHO, of course.

EB

Syston-images
Apprentice

Okay

My own personal view as a former software engineer is that it may NOT be a deliberate act by Canon with initially the 7D MkII and 5D MK IV to lock out the option for non Canon Lenses within the DDP software.

I would say the initial reason if I was doing it would be for the purpose of testing this feature in that they “Know” their own lenses and using that known data they can characterize the software and hardware within 1st the camera and then their DDP software.

Having done this I would again a guess they either elected to leave it in for now or left it in deliberately to encourage use of only Canon Lenses.

I think though it’s an omission issue as if Canon really wanted people to use only the Canon Lenses with Dual Pixel RAW the lock out would have been placed within the Camera as turned on dual pixel RAW means that it takes twice as long in camera to capture process and save to memory card as well as taking twice the storage.

Placing a deliberate lock out within the DDP computer software for Non Canon Lens should have resulted in either  a change to the DPR designation on the images OR more correctly graying out the Dual Pixel RAW Menu selection as per the case with normal RAW files taken with Canon Lenses.

Instead the Dual Pixel RAW Option is enabled within the camera with the sigma lenses fitted. The DPR is recorded to memory card (note I only did this to the CR card.

The DPP software hanging AFTER opening the DPR point to an error in the DPP code.

Thanks

Martin J Richards BA(Hons) ARPS

+44(0)7535 676 893

Announcements