cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D IV software upgrade

NiteLinger
Contributor

I have ordered a new 5D mark IV and I am replaceing a Mark III. Does aanyone know if I need to uninstall the current software to install the new Mark IV software? I understand some of it is an upgrade.

If I need to uninstall can I put the existing folders I have back into the new sooftware without issues?

Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

You can install the latest software over the old software with no problem (I routinely update my software).

Minimally you would want updated versions of EOS Utility and Digital Photo Professional... and since the 5D IV has a buit-in GPS (on the 5D III it was an accessory module) then you might want the Map Utility, etc.

Go to Canon's website, search for the 5D IV and you'll find a "support" link.  This will take you to the page that lets you download the software (it'll likely prompt you to type in the serial number of your camera).  

Run the installer and it will replace all the old versions of software with current versions. 

Your photos shouldn't be in the folders with the software -- they should be unaffected and the new software will still open and process all images shot with your 5D III.

(I have both a 5D III and a 5D IV -- I can open any of the images shot using any of the Canon cameras I have ever owned.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thank you for replying but your answer leaves me with one more question.

If you say my photo's "shouldn't be in the software" does that mean I do need to remove them before installing or just leave things as they are and install the new?

Thanks again.

On my computer (I use a Mac) all applications are installed an a common "Applications" directory on the computer's hard drive.  My photos are not... they are located in a Pictures directory (in my users "Home" folder).  

[Side note:  I can manually choose to store them elsewhere, but that's where they'll go by default.  In my case, I have a large external storage array and that's where my pictures are located ... the internal drive would run out of space.]

It would be the same on Windows... except it would likely be located in C:\Program Files (or possibly "Program Files (x86)") and your pictures will be in your home folder in the "Pictures" directory.

This separates your data (which you do not want to lose) from your applications (which you want to update).

When you update the applications, the newer versions of the applications will still have access to all of your data - pictures will all still be there.

I was concerned because the way you phrased your question ... wonder if you needed to uninstall and "put existing folders back".  The software upgrade will remove any of the older software that needs to be replaced by the newer software.  You wont need to manually do anything with removing folders or putting anything back.  The upgrade will not touch any of your pictures -- they get left as-is.

I have to add one last point... 

Are you making backups?  Your question suggested that you fear the upgrade might result in a loss of data.  This is never a problem or fear if you make backups.

I make backups regularly (several different types) and have no fear of data loss because I can easily restore anythying.

I ask because I've worked in the computer industry for more than 30 years.  I am "that guy" that all the family & friends call when they have a problem with their computer.   There are two types of hard drives in the world... those that HAVE FAILED and those that ARE GOING TO FAIL.  There is no other kind.

A friend of mine worked at a company that did recovery of data from failed computer drives.  It's NOT cheap (never less than $1000 and easily could run several thousand dollars).  He explained the process to me so I understand why it's that expensive (very special facilities & equipment and very time consuming with skilled labor spending a long time on just one customer and when you add up the overhead, labor, and the fact that company has to make a profit to stay in business... it's easy to understand why it's so expensive.)

Backup drives are cheap.  There are even cheap online backup services that backup your data to the cloud.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Well, that surely answered my question.

Looks like I will just install the software and not worry about it. The camera should be here Tuesday or Wednesday.

I do make backups. I have 3 removable HD's and try to update the current one as soon as I can after shooting. I also keep them backed up on 4.7 GB CD's just in case. I've got CD's over 30 years old, but I hear they won't last that long.

You've been a big help thank you.

@NiteLinger wrote:

Looks like I will just install the software and not worry about it. The camera should be here Tuesday or Wednesday.

I do make backups. I have 3 removable HD's and try to update the current one as soon as I can after shooting. I also keep them backed up on 4.7 GB CD's just in case. I've got CD's over 30 years old, but I hear they won't last that long.

I have audio CDs that old.  They seem to work just fine.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@NiteLinger wrote:

Backing picture files up to CDs is a slow and clumsy process. An 8TB USB 3.0 hard drive can now be had for less than $200. I've bought two of them from B&H within the past year.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks for the info, I have 3 but not that big. I'll keep adding as I need them. I hate to have too many eggs in one basket.

I appreciate the comments.

@NiteLinger wrote:

Thanks for the info, I have 3 but not that big. I'll keep adding as I need them. I hate to have too many eggs in one basket.

I appreciate the comments.

It matters where you put the baskets. My backup files go on a drive attached to one of my computers. Every week or two I copy them to another drive that stays in my car. When I visit my daughter in Philadelphia, that drive gets copied to another drive that I keep down there.

Whatever you do, don't have your primary backup be in the "cloud". Cloud services have been known to go bankrupt overnight, with (if it's your only copy) catastrophic results.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

You are correct, but mine are detachable and I keep them separate. But I know that nothing is 100% I just do the best I can.

JC

Announcements