cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D III totally dead during firmware update

birdsofpreydave
Contributor

Attempted to upgrade my firmware tonight.  Followed the directions to download and unzip the file onto the CF card.  Menu recognized the file.  As soon as I clicked "OK" on the first option "Current Version Is" the whole camera went completely black.  I never got the second menu to select which version to load.

I let it sit for 20 minutes just in case it was doing something.  No change.  i've now removed batteries and attempt to restart.  The camera is still completely dead.

Any suggestions?  Am I going to have to ship to a service center?

I can't believe this!

17 REPLIES 17

I shoot RAW to the CF card and S2 JPEG to the Eye-Fi for a live review of what I'm shooting on my tablet.  That small JPEG files transfer lightning fast.

@birdsofpreydave wrote:

I shoot RAW to the CF card and S2 JPEG to the Eye-Fi for a live review of what I'm shooting on my tablet.  That small JPEG files transfer lightning fast.

Ah, brilliant.  There's a significant bonus to the dual card slots.

The only down side I've found (other than screwing with firmware updates) is that writing to both cards like I have set up significantly reduces the number of shots you can take in burst mode.

I shoot the same as you, photos uploaded directly to my iPad...

Assassin
Apprentice

It just happened with mine too 😞

Assassin
Apprentice

Thanks guys for the info, I felt sick to the stomach after my MkIII went completely dead... these forums are invaluable for this kind of info... I would have had to post my camera away, and been without it for around two weeks if I had have sent it to Canon...

@Assassin wrote:

Thanks guys for the info, I felt sick to the stomach after my MkIII went completely dead... these forums are invaluable for this kind of info... I would have had to post my camera away, and been without it for around two weeks if I had have sent it to Canon...

I know the feeling well, which motivates me to strengthen the already proffered advice: Don't ever download a firmware upgrade file directly to the camera! It's too easy to misread the instructions and screw it up. Instead, copy the file to a card in a card reader; tnen insert the card in the camera and run the update. I learned that the hard way when I bricked my wife's XTi while using the download method. We were going to photograph a family wedding and associated parties in just over a week, and I was afraid we couldn't get it fixed and returned before we left for Philadelphia. (In those days we didn't have a spare DSLR.) So I called Canon's Jamesburg shop and arranged to send them the camera and have it held for us to pick up on the way. Fortunately, they're only a couple of miles from the NJ Turnpike. It was my first introduction to the efficiency and helpfulness of Canon's service organization. They even fixed the camera under warranty.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

So true! Just had my first bricking of the 5D3 when I tried to go from 1.2.3 to 1.3.3 today. It would not for any reason want to take the load from the SD card (yes its an eye-fi but I thought 1.2.3 would be ok). Did the same, batteries out, lens off, drain the camera....but thanks once again to the amazing politically correct internet...I had forgotten about the eye-fi and SD slot and had to load the .fir file onto the CF card. Dont ask me why but EOS Utility only loaded it to the SD card and not the CF card so basically it was NEVER going to work. Slapped the file on the CF and placed it in the camera and voila! Just had to take out the battery once completed and re-insert and all is back to normal. Worst case I drive 10 min to Jamesburg and hand it over to them (I am also a CPS customer) and if for nothing else they slap me upside the back of the head and say "what were you thinking?" and hand me a cleaned up body in working order.
Announcements