cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Classic needed

mohsin91santono
Apprentice

Hello Dears,

Can you anyone tell, how can I buy 5D classic, price less than 500 USD?
Will EBay be a good option to consider?

Also, will the camera quality be good?

Thanks for your advice

Happy weekend

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@mohsin91santono wrote:

Hello Dears,

Can you anyone tell, how can I buy 5D classic, price less than 500 USD?
Will EBay be a good option to consider?

Also, will the camera quality be good?

Thanks for your advice

Happy weekend

My opinion is somewhat biased.  I've read too many posts from people who bought worthless stuff from sites like eBay.  If you wish to buy used gear, then I would recommend a reputable Canon online dealer like B&H or Adorama.  KEH is a pretty good used equipment dealer, too.  They all offer limited warranties on used gear, which are just long enough for you to put the gear through enough testing to determine whether it is fully functional, or not.

I think the best place for deals on Canon gear is Canon's Online Refurbished Store, which offers one year warranties on everything that I have looked at so far.  Unfortunately, the original 5D seems to be no longer offered for sale, which may also mean that Canon no longer repairs the 5D, or support for it is about to end, if it hasn't already.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You want a original 5D.  There is no 'classic' 5D model.  That is a name given to it to do what I don't know?

"Also, will the camera quality be good?"

This surprises me!  You know you want a 5D but you don't know if it's quality is good? OK, but know all the later 5D models, the 5D Mk II and Mk III are better.

"Will EBay be a good option to consider?"

ebay is fine. They have a buyer protection plan that serves quite well.  Just make sure you read all the descriptions and policies of the seller.  If they mislead or lie, you are covered.  But if they didn't, it is all you.

BTW, I used a 5D for a long while. It is a very capable camera but somewhat dated now.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The prices of 5D II's have come down and it's now possible to get a 5D II for about $800 (giver or take depending on condition).  The original 5D should be substantially less than $500... probably nearer to $300. (body only price -- no lens).

I took a peek at KEH's listings and they are showing prices a bit higher.  But then KEH basically operates like a used car deal in that they expect to offer less than the real value when trading in, but mark up the product a bit more when selling.

What you get from KEH is the notion that they have graded the quality of the gear and it really is in the condition that they state.  Major camera retailers that deal in used equipment have similar grading systems.

An experienced photographer could probably buy from Craigslist because now you're able to buy from something a bit more local which means you can meet and inspect the product before buying.  This is great *if* you know what to look for (which is why I qualified "experienced" photographer), but if you don't know what to look for... better to pay a bit extra and have an intermediary (like a major camera retailer or a company like KEH that exclusively deals in the resale of used camera gear) inspect the product for you and "grade" it's condition so you wont have any unpleasant surprises.

But I have the same question that Ernie already stated:  Why do you state that you "need" a 5D (classic aka the original 5D, not the Mk II, III, or IV.  It was never called "5D classic" as an official name)?

If you want a full-frame camera at a very low price... the 5D II body prices have come down even farther now that the 5D IV is out and people are selling their old 5D III's (thus forcing down the price of 5D II's.)  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements