cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Classic Driver missing

JamesWood
Apprentice

When I connect my 5D Classic to my Windows computer It usually loads the driver for it so I can use bridge to transfer my images but 2 days ago I needed to transfer images but nothing happened when I connected. I looked to see if the driver had loaded but Windows 7 reports that there is no driver and it can't find it...

I did a web search but Windows reports that it can't find one. What Canon software do i need to reinstall to get the driver? I looked on the support page but there is no mention where the driver is located in the software selections.

Help! I don't like taking the CF card out to transfer files because of the possibility of bending pins...

4 REPLIES 4

Tim
Authority

Hello JamesWood, 

Since your camera uses an older way of communicating with the computer, you won't be able to use the Canon software for downloading images from your camera.

With that said, you can still download images if the camera is in the PTP mode. On your camera, this can be done by turning the camera on and putting the camera in the P, TV, AV, or M mode on the round dial up top.

From there, press the MENU button, and scroll down to the listing that says COMMUNICATION. Highlight it and press the SET button, then select PRINT/PTP. Then connect to the computer, turn on the camera and see if the computer gives you options for downloading the pictures.

Suggestions for importing direct from a camera from the Microsoft support site:

1. Connect a phone, camera, storage card from your camera, or external drive to your PC.

2. Open the Photos app.

3. Swipe in from the bottom edge to see the app commands. (If you're using a mouse, right-click within the app.)

4. Select Import.

5. Select the device you want to import from.

6. The app automatically searches for all photos and videos that it hasn't imported before and selects them. You can also swipe down on or click each photo and video you want to import or select Select all.

7. Select Import. The photos and videos are saved in the Pictures folder in a sub-folder named with the date.

Another option is to consider purchasing an USB card reader. USB enabled card readers are inexpensive and make it easy to download images to your computer by reading the card directly.

Once you download the photos onto your computer using the methods described above, you can use your favorite photo-editing program to edit and organize your photos.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Using old Canon 5D camera with x64 windows 10.

I had the issue when my Canon 5D camera was not detected by my laptop to transfer files.
Canon never produced a driver for x64 systems but this work-around works fine.
I performed these steps and it did solve my problem.

1. Install wpdmtp.inf
Press and hold the Windows Key and while holding it, press R. Type %systemroot%\INF in the box and hit Enter.

Alternatively, you could just use the file explorer and manually go to C:\Windows\INF

Type wpdmtp.inf in the search bar provided to the right of the address bar in Windows 10.
wpdmtp.inf is a file related to MTP and installing it manually can possibly resolve your issues, especially when you have previously seen the error message “A service installation section in this INF is invalid“.

Right-click on the wpdmtp.inf file and select Install. Click Yes if asked, “Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?”

It should go rather quick and once it’s done try connecting your 5D camera again.

2. Install the MTP USB Device Driver
Press and hold the Windows key and press R. In the run dialogue box that opens, type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter. This will open the device manager.

Alternatively, you can also press the Windows key and type Device manager to search for it.

Expand Portable devices and find your device. If you can’t, try looking under Other devices as well because it is under that for some users. Also, make sure your MTP device (Canon 5D Camera) is connected to your PC, otherwise it won’t show.

Right-click it, and choose Update Driver Software.

Select Browse my computer for driver software.

Click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

From the options presented, select Portable Devices and choose MTP USB Device, and click next. Follow the installation wizard to install it.
After having followed these steps the camera now shows under “This computer” and can be used to transfer your pictures. without having to get a card reader.

Denis Loos.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I don't like taking the CF card out to transfer files because of the possibility of bending pins..."

Neither do I but I have done it ever since there has been CF cards and never bent a pin.  If you are careful you won't bend any pins. I use smaller CF cards (8mb to 16mb) to help prevent lose of photos so I remove them often. The old saying, "Never use a sledge hammer when a tack hammer will work.", is good advice here.  Don't be a gorilla and you will be fine.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The only thing I will add to Ernie's advice is to be sure and only buy your CF cards from a reputable retailer because counterfeit cards are very common.  A friend damaged her 5D III courtesy of a counterfeit CF card from a well known huge online seller of a wide array of new goods.  When I examined the card, it was clearly counterfeit and the "killer" problem was the die used to form part of the card shell was poorly made and one of the holes was too small and slightly offset causing the pin to bend.

Years earlier, I ended up with fake Sandisk SD cards from the same online merchant.  In this case they were obviously fake and I never used them.

The CF mechanical interface will stand up to a high duty cycle if reasonable care is used and you avoid poorly manufactured CF cards.  The pins are easily bent if abused so make sure the card is always slid perfectly straight in.  The later Cfast and CF Express cards have a more robust mechanical interface designed for higher duty cycle use.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements