cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50D firmware help

bearsmom24
Apprentice

Please dont blast me for a stupid question, but I am a new owner to a 50D.  Prior owner said Compact Flash with UDMA 7 would not download from camera to pc and not to use.  I have tried to research and maybe I need a firmware update?  If so, I have no idea where to find what firmware version I have on camera currently, much less how to update.  I am going to Yellowstone in a few weeks and dont want to mess up the camera before I go.  If I need to steer clear of the UDMA cards, I will.  What other benefits to a firmware update are there?  Sorry to be so ignorant, please be nice. 🙂  Thank you!

14 REPLIES 14

"It's Windows 10 that doesn't recognize the CR2 files on the card."

Win 10, latest update version, sees and displays all my cr2 files.  Look elsewhere for your problem.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Bob and ebiggs1, et al. -

To clarify this situation further, it is indeed a Windows 10 and 50D issue. If you had a 50D with a UDMA 7 card containing CR2 files on it they would not be recognized by Windows 10 via a USB connection, in that they would be seen as zero byte files which can not be moved or copied (see screenshot for what should be IMG_0292.CR2). That Windows 7 does not exhibit this incompatibility indicates an introduced issue with Windows 10 (and maybe 8/8.1, I don't know).

This card/interface incompatibility should not be construed to reflect possible issues with other Canon models (ebiggs1), or card readers (Bob), as putting that UDMA card into a card reader presents no problems whatsoever. As I stated earlier "Definitely some incompatibilities here,", and that is indeed the issue being addressed. One wouldn't expect the requirement to use a card reader to read CR2 files, but that is the current scenario, as even EOS Utililty run in Windows 7 compatibility mode hangs and then does not transfer all the files on the card (it is hit-and-miss with both CR2 and JPG files).

In summary, with this model and Windows 10, CR2 files on a UDMA 7 card must be read from a card reader. Non-UDMA cards containing CR2 files present no USB transfer issues. It is indeed a peculiar issue, and I would not expect others who have not experienced it to understand that this problem could actually occur.

Mike

50D.PNG

What you are saying is you can't move the pictures from 50D to computer using the camera? If you use a card reader all is well.? I did not understand but I think I do now.

I can not duplicate your issue as I don't have nor have I ever had a 50D.  I do have 1 series going back to the original 1D and 1D Mk II both require a card reader (Firewire) so that is what I use. Win 10 displays both properly. Sorry I can't help more.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

What you are saying is you can't move the pictures from 50D to computer using the camera? If you use a card reader all is well.? I did not understand but I think I do now.

I can not duplicate your issue as I don't have nor have I ever had a 50D.  I do have 1 series going back to the original 1D and 1D Mk II both require a card reader (Firewire) so that is what I use. Win 10 displays both properly. Sorry I can't help more.

I do have a 50D, so I tried some experiments the other night, using a 32GB Lexar Professional UDMA 7 CF card and an up-to-date installation of Windows 10 Professional. I wasn't able to reproduce your problem exactly, but I did have problems. For example, the camera would transmit one or two files (correctly), but then get stuck in "BUSY" mode. (I quit trying when I finally started having trouble clearing the BUSY.)

Upon reflection, I guess we shouldn't be surprised. The types and sizes of CF cards we use now didn't exist when the 50D was current, and many camera models have had trouble adapting to larger cards and more complex file systems.

The 50D was a fine camera in its day, a major improvement over the 40D. It's the only camera for which I ever put myself on the wait list before it even came out.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"...using a 32GB Lexar Professional UDMA 7 CF..."

I only use 16GB CF/SD cards. Not a solution just my practice.

EB
Announcements