cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50D - Camera won't consistently take the shot with Polarizing or ND filter on the lens

IBaSchmuck
Contributor

If I have a polarizing or ND filter attached to a lens, any lens (Canon, Tamron, offbrand)(EF or EF-S)(zoom, fixed or macro), camera set to "Full Auto" (manual modes also), any image stabilization turned off, or on, the lenses will always autofocus, but some times the camera won't take the shot. Some times it will. The camera acts like it would if it were too close to a subject for the installed lens. However, moving further away, or closer, to the subject has no affect on the issue. I can AF the camera, switch the lens to "manual" focus and it will take the shot.

Changing the ISO makes no difference. Changing the AF point/s makes no difference.

At first I thought one of my lenses was the problem, then I tried another one and got the same result.

Is there a setting I may have changed that would cause this? Easy fix? Or am I going to have to send it in to Canon for diagnosis?

15 REPLIES 15

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Poloarizing and ND filters reduce the amount of light entering the lens. You may not have enough light for the AF system. Are you sure its reaching focus; is the green dot lighting up?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yes. The green light is on.

Both filters are circular. Sometimes I can hit the shutter three or four times, without moving the camera in or out, and it on the third or fourth attempt it will take the shot. Some times I can hit the shutter 10 times with no response.
With a UV or 81A filter attached I can shoot all day with no issues. It appears only with polarizer or ND. Even if they are backed off to allow the most light in. Filter light allowance positioning doesn't seem to make any difference, with either filter.

I think I have another circular polarizer in with my A-1 stuff. If I have a step up ring I'll give that a try too.

"Some camera/lens combinations can be told to take the picture even if AF hasn't been achieved. See if you can set yours that way, and try again."
I'll give that a try.

I'm confused. If the green dot lights up camera is in focus - are you saying the light is on but shutter won't fire?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

That's correct.

does your camera have LiveView? Can you take a photo using LiveView?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

It does have Live View. In the two years I've had this camera I've never used it so I'll have to learn how and then go play with that too.

OK. Reason I am suggesting that is it uses a different focusing method - it focuses using the actual image sensor rather than an AF sensor.

I have never experienced a situation where camea wouldn't fire when focus confirmation was green.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

OK. Reason I am suggesting that is it uses a different focusing method - it focuses using the actual image sensor rather than an AF sensor.

I have never experienced a situation where camea wouldn't fire when focus confirmation was green.

Understood. This only started last month, that's why I'm confused also. Up until then I had had no issues with the camera. (Well, there was that sticking switch under the flash spring.)

Another problem is that it doesn't happen all of the time. Twice, it was at car shows. Lots of chrome/glare. Another time it was at a desertPetroglyph site. Bright sun but dark rocks.

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Does the confirmation light blink or stay on? In one-shot AF mode on a 50D, the light blinks if focus cannot be achieved.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements