cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50D - Camera won't consistently take the shot with Polarizing or ND filter on the lens

IBaSchmuck
Contributor

If I have a polarizing or ND filter attached to a lens, any lens (Canon, Tamron, offbrand)(EF or EF-S)(zoom, fixed or macro), camera set to "Full Auto" (manual modes also), any image stabilization turned off, or on, the lenses will always autofocus, but some times the camera won't take the shot. Some times it will. The camera acts like it would if it were too close to a subject for the installed lens. However, moving further away, or closer, to the subject has no affect on the issue. I can AF the camera, switch the lens to "manual" focus and it will take the shot.

Changing the ISO makes no difference. Changing the AF point/s makes no difference.

At first I thought one of my lenses was the problem, then I tried another one and got the same result.

Is there a setting I may have changed that would cause this? Easy fix? Or am I going to have to send it in to Canon for diagnosis?

15 REPLIES 15

@IBaSchmuck wrote:

Yes. The green light is on.

Both filters are circular. Sometimes I can hit the shutter three or four times, without moving the camera in or out, and it on the third or fourth attempt it will take the shot. Some times I can hit the shutter 10 times with no response.
With a UV or 81A filter attached I can shoot all day with no issues. It appears only with polarizer or ND. Even if they are backed off to allow the most light in. Filter light allowance positioning doesn't seem to make any difference, with either filter.

I think I have another circular polarizer in with my A-1 stuff. If I have a step up ring I'll give that a try too.

"Some camera/lens combinations can be told to take the picture even if AF hasn't been achieved. See if you can set yours that way, and try again."
I'll give that a try.

I apologize if I'm seeing you as more of a newbie than you are, but are you sure you know what "circular" means in this context? A circular ND filter is an oxymoron.

If you're not sure, google "circular polarizer" (which is the only type of polarizer that works with most AF systems).

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I'm pretty sure my Hoya PL-C is a circular polarizer. I've only been taking photos since 1965 though, so I could be wrong.

My bad on the Tiffen ND filter. It's a "variable".

I think if your problem were confined to the polarizer, we'd guess that you're using a "linear", rather than "circular", polarizer. So trying to salvage that thought, I wonder if your ND filter is itself acting like a linear polarizer. Try changing its rotational position relative to the lens. And have you experimented with other examples of either type of device?

In any case, it's a good guess that your camera is appearing to complete the AF process but not actually doing so. All of the symptoms you describe point in that direction. Some camera/lens combinations can be told to take the picture even if AF hasn't been achieved. See if you can set yours that way, and try again.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thats a good thought Bob.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I have the Tiffen 10X Cariabke ND and confirmed that it does not affect focusing as long as there is enough light. Solid green dot and beep.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:
I have the Tiffen 10X Cariabke ND and confirmed that it does not affect focusing as long as there is enough light. Solid green dot and beep.

I just spent the last hour, or so, outside (bright sun, 86°, 30% humidity) trying to MAKE it not work. And nothing. Took the shot every time. Two different lenses (1-EF, 1-EF-S), both ND and Polarizing filters tried. Shooting my Fiat Cherokee station wagon, lots of glare, shooting some Sunflowers, Lilacs, dog, concrete, trees, leaves, chickens. With and without Live View, every "creative" mode, every "basic" mode. And nothing. Not a single failure to fire. Focused every time, but then that was never the problem. It would focus, just not activate the shutter. That does sound like the subject would NOT be in focus. But the light was on all those times it wouldn't work.

No problems when I want it to not work and then doesn't work when I really want it to.

It's rather frustrating, to say the least.

Heading up to Crater Lake tomorrow. Will see what happens then, and report back.

Announcements