Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4K 23.98P is zoomed in vs FHD 59.94P - EOS M50

Mr_Scary
Contributor

Wondering if I'm doing something wrong. 

EOS M50

When I record a video in (4K 23.98P) the video is zoomed way in compared to (FHD 59.94P) 

I feel like maybe 40% magnified if that makes sense. loosing alot of the scene, I need to move way back to get the entire scene.

Or is this normal behavior? 

Thanks. 

Both pics below were shot at the same distance at 15.

1080p.jpg

4k.jpg

EOS M50 / M15-45 / M55-200 / Vixia HF-M30
6950X / X99 / RTX 2080 XC2 Ultra / Win 10 Pro
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I would guess so.  Use an ultra-wide angle lens if you want to use 4K mode.  I think Full HD is sufficient for 99.99% of the time, and far easier to edit.  If you really need 4K video that much, you should be invested in areal 4K video camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Most DSLRs and even some cinema cameras will not read the entire sensor when recording certain resolutions/frame-rates.

If you need a partcular resolution to stay framed the same way (e.g. you have multiple cams; A, B, etc.), you'll want to look into the appropriate equipment.  e.g. cinema cameras that would all use S35 sensors and read out the entire sensor.   Or, full-frame cameras that would all crop the same way.

Otherwise, what Waddizzle points out as a workaround is solid.  You'll have to use wider lenses when you cannot physically back up further from your subjects.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Use this reference:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/learn/education/topics/article/2018/July/4K-Video-...

To confirm what Wadizzle and rs-eos "Ricky" has already said.  What you see will be affected by the FOV of the lens since 4K is shot from a cropped portion in the center of the sensor.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I would guess so.  Use an ultra-wide angle lens if you want to use 4K mode.  I think Full HD is sufficient for 99.99% of the time, and far easier to edit.  If you really need 4K video that much, you should be invested in areal 4K video camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Most DSLRs and even some cinema cameras will not read the entire sensor when recording certain resolutions/frame-rates.

If you need a partcular resolution to stay framed the same way (e.g. you have multiple cams; A, B, etc.), you'll want to look into the appropriate equipment.  e.g. cinema cameras that would all use S35 sensors and read out the entire sensor.   Or, full-frame cameras that would all crop the same way.

Otherwise, what Waddizzle points out as a workaround is solid.  You'll have to use wider lenses when you cannot physically back up further from your subjects.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Use this reference:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/learn/education/topics/article/2018/July/4K-Video-...

To confirm what Wadizzle and rs-eos "Ricky" has already said.  What you see will be affected by the FOV of the lens since 4K is shot from a cropped portion in the center of the sensor.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Mr_Scary
Contributor

Thank you all, this makes perfect sense.

I'm glad I purchased the camera with the extra zoom lens. 

EDIT: Actually what I said above makes no sense, lol.. 

EOS M50 / M15-45 / M55-200 / Vixia HF-M30
6950X / X99 / RTX 2080 XC2 Ultra / Win 10 Pro

Just for the record, the new 90D can shoot 4K "cropped" or "uncropped".

Announcements