cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

42nd St.Photo and Abe's of Main

jdilger
Apprentice

I am new to this forum and a long time Canon user. I want to buy an EOS 7D Mark II camera and an 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 lens.

42nd Photo has the camera for a $440.00 discount over the local Best Buy and Abe's of Main has the lens for a $350.00 discount over Best Buy. Am I asking for trouble dealing with these 2 companies? Aboout 10 years ago, I was looking for new Canon equipment and every response on the same question said not to do business with these two companies.

Thanks for your help

John Dilger

[Mod Note: Edited personal information per forum guidelines].

11 REPLIES 11

Canon isn't ripping off U.S. customers, when you buy non-gray market gear from an authorized Canon distributor you are paying for and getting a warranty valid in your marketplace which has a lot of value.  Gray market gear is a good buy if the customer wishes to assume the risk of product failure during the warranty period, think of it as self-insurance.

I have used B&H since the days of 1-800 number ordering prior to the internet and have never had an issue with them. They are an authorized Canon dealer. 

Authorized dealers can provide a level of service, not just warranty related, beyond that provided by the deep discount unathoroized retailers.  I have bought gray market goods of many types, just rarely in the photography industry, and my doctoral dissertation nearly 30 years ago focused upon free riding and gray markets.  I have no issue with the existence of parallel distribution channels as long as the retailers are reasonably upfront about the benefits and drawbacks but many of the gray market sellers are not.

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

"Wow lets praise Canon for ripping off US customers."

You are paying for gear that has been verified to work in the USA.  Some gear that isn't destined for our market might not.  Secondly you are buying Canon USA support.  It is the best there is not only in the photography world but perhaps the best company support there is in any genre.  If you feel that is not worth the small extra price then by all means go grey market.  You can always ship your gear back to Japan and Canon will service it there.  Some retial stores even offer both.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements