cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

40D to 90D

srd-software
Contributor

Hi, I have a 40D and have hardly used it all these years since it does not take video. It looks like a 90D would be a good replacement but I had a few questions.

• Will my current lens (Canon 18-55 AF Stabilzer - got it with the camera years ago) still fit/work?
  • Will my accessories fit? Battery, USB cable, shutter release cable
  • The 90D now uses an SD card, and has no provision for a CF card correct?
  • Any ideas on trade-in value I might expect for the 40D towards a 90?

Any help appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

amfoto1
Authority

@srd-software wrote:

Hi, I have a 40D and have hardly used it all these years since it does not take video. It looks like a 90D would be a good replacement but I had a few questions.

• Will my current lens (Canon 18-55 AF Stabilzer - got it with the camera years ago) still fit/work?
  • Will my accessories fit? Battery, USB cable, shutter release cable
  • The 90D now uses an SD card, and has no provision for a CF card correct?
  • Any ideas on trade-in value I might expect for the 40D towards a 90?

Any help appreciated. 

Let's take your questions one at a time....

LENS: Your EF-S 18-55mm IS lens will work fine. If it's the older one, you might want to spend a little extra and get one of the newer lenses. The EF-S 18-55mm IS "STM" is faster and quieter focusing, and has improved image quality, compared to the "micro motor" versions (which don't have "STM" imprinted on them).

Bryan Carnathan has comprehensive reviews and thorough comparisons of the various EF-S 18-55mm versions on his web site. Start here with the latest EF-S 18-55mm lens. There are links to the earlier ones, so you can determine which you have and how it differs from the latest ones.

Honestly, though, the 90D is such a nice and highly capable camera you might consider getting a more versatile lens to use with it. 90D is often offered "in kit" with the EF-S 18-135mm IS USM  This is a more "mid-grade" build quality lens with higher performance autofocus that complements the camera's much more advanced AF system (especially compared to the older 18-55mm micro motor lenses).

90D body only (no lens) sells for $1199.

90D with latest EF-S 18-55mm lens sells for $1349.

90D with EF-S 18-135mm IS USM sells for $1599.

The EF-S 18-55mm IS STM lens sells separately for $249, so there's really no discount buying that basic kit lens with the camera, but it would be a relatively inexpensive upgrade from an older EF-S 18-55mm.

The EF-S 18-135mm IS USM sells separately for $599... so when it's bought in kit with the 90D, you are getting a $200 discount.

Other even more premium, general purpose "walk-around" zooms are the Canon EF-S 15-85mm IS USM (wider angle, $799) and EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM ("faster" f/2.8 lens for lower light conditions, currently on sale for $729).

ACCESSORIES:

- BATTERY... no. The 40D uses an older BP511A battery, which will not fit or work in 90D. The newer cameras use LP-E6N, but get a lot better battery life with them, as well as provide more info. One of those will be included with the 90D when you purchase it, as well as the new charger it requires. If you want extra batteries, there are cheaper third party "clones", but be careful. Most cannot safely be charged in the Canon charger. They require a special charger or their own and do not give the same information in the cameras. One exception is the Watson #B-1544-2 (not the #B-1544). That can be charged in the Canon charger and has full communication with the camera, same as the Canon OEM batteries.

- USB... A new USB cable will be provided with the 90D. Your old one might work, too. Those cables are pretty standard.

- SHUTTER RELEASE:

- - - Wired... No, your 40D uses the RS-80N3 or TS-80N3. The 90D (80D, 70D, 60D) uses the less expensive, smaller RS-60E3. There are also various third party remote swithces and timer/controllers (though I think the 90D has built in time lapse ability, so may not need that).

- - - Wireless... Probably... the little Canon RC-6 can be used with the 90D and has been around for many years, might be what you have for use with 40D. There also is the newer BR-E1 which connects via Bluetooth. Which reminds me, you also can connect via a smartphone and even use it's screen for remote shooting.

- SHOULDER STRAP... will also be included with the camera.

- MANUAL Not sure if there is a printed manual included... Many Canon come without one now, or only come with a somewhat abbreviate manual (about 150 pages). There are complete, free, downloadble PDFs available from the Canon USA website. Those can be loaded onto a smart phone or tablet, for convenience in the field.

- MEMORY CARD... Sorry, but no.  Can't use CF cards. 90D has a single memory card slot and only accepts SD memory cards. Fortunately, those aren't expensive. (I just bought two 32GB SD cards for $32.)

Your best bet to "cash out" your 40D would be to sell it yourself either locally or via everyone's favorite online auction site. You will get more money for it that way, than you would tradiing it in to a retailer. They will only give you "wholesale" value, probalby about 2/3 the current typical selling price. 

If your 40D has hardly been used (be prepared to prove it by getting a current "shutter count" from it) and it is bundled with extra items such as lens, spare batteries, charger, manual, strap, memory cards, you would probably get more than the average selling price. You can see what they sell for on that auction site, just search for "Canon 40D" and then click on "sold items". Be prepared, you might cry!

Hope this helps!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

"The 40d was SO bad that I thought about moving to nikon ..."

Do you think Nikons don't have issues sometimes? Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

" I don't want to spend that much money on a camera that will be worth $100 in a few years."

IMHO, it is faulty reasoning to buy a camera based on what it will be worth in a few years. JMHO, though.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@srd-software wrote:

amfoto1,

Thanks for all the info. It helped a lot!

• Lens: My lens is marked STM so I'll keep it for use on the next camera. This was the main thing helping me to decide what to do with the 40d and what to get next.
  • Memory card: I never liked the CF cards (pin-and-hole connection is fragile), so changing to something using regular SD cards is a plus to me (other stuff I have uses them too). I'll dump the CF cards I have with the body since nothing else I have uses that card.
  • Batteries, shutter release, strap etc.: No problem jettisoning those with the body. Nothing else I have uses them. 
  • Shutter Count: I can't get that now. After 3 (that's right, THREE) uses of the USB, the port stopped working. Unbelievable, terrible quality. The 40d is worth so little now it's not worth fixing.Since the USB pooped out, the effective value of my 40d body is about $0. So there won't be any "cashing out." They only fetch about $100 on ebay now at best anyway and it would cost at least that much to fix it. I am very disappointed with the 40d and look forward to giving it away to a charity. 

The 40d was SO bad that I thought about moving to nikon but since my current lens still works and I can use it on the next body, I'll try one more canon. But this will be the last one. If I continue to get mediocre 40d-type photos and have any more build/quality problems, the whole thing will go. I loved my old 35mm FT (not FTb, FT). That one (with a Vivitar wide angle lens) took the best photos of any camera I've ever had. It finally started having shutter problems so I got an AE-1 black body. At any rate, my experience with those were why I stayed with canon. 

I won't bother with a 90d as I don't want to spend that much money on a camera that will be worth $100 in a few years. I'm going with an older model that can do video and has already depreciated some (less to lose if this next one is as bad as the 40). I'm looking at a 70d now. Maybe an 80d but the 70d looks like it will do what I want it to do as far as video is concerned. 

I really do appreciate your help. I'm just so disappointed and disgusted with the 40 at this point that I had to rant a little. 

The 70D has had a checkered history when it comes to shooting video.  I strongly recommend that you look past it towards the 80D.  Be sure to check out the Canon Online Refurbished Store for the best deals on the 80D and a one year factory warranty.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yeah, after going through the info again the 80 really looked like the way to go. I want to save money where I can but I also want to try and get as much capabiltiy as possible (within reason!).

I went with an 80d on the Canon Online Refurbished Store site. They had a "kit" that came with an 18-55 lens, battery and charger for just over $700. Better even than amazon. Good idea on using their store, I didn't know they had such a thing.

I'll wait until the 80 gets here and I can try it out and then if it's all OK I'll give the 40 to a charity.

The lens with the 80 is the same one I have on the 40, so I might keep the one off the 40 as a backup.

80D will be a good upgrade and now you'll have two 18-55mm lenses! (

Compare them and keep the better of the two... there have been some 6 or more versions of the 18-55mm since it was first intro'd in 2003.... some are considerably better than others. For example, earlier ones had a rotating front barrel that's a pain when using Circular Polarizing filter. At some point, I forget exactly which version, Canon fixed that.

Those refurbs can be a really good deal!

I'm surprised you had so many issues with the 40D. I never used them regularly myself (I had 10D, 30D, 50D)... but it alwasy seemed to me 40D were one of the better upgrades from earlier models, with more improvements than usual. I do know a lot of folks who used 40D and their primary issue was relatively short-lived shutters... seemed to go out a lot around 40,000 to 50,0000 "clicks". Most others in that line, both older and newer, have been good for at least 100,000 (and the 40D was supposed to be able to do tthat, too).

Enjoy the 80D! Download the manual and get started reading it!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

@srd-software wrote:

amfoto1,

Thanks for all the info. It helped a lot!

• Lens: My lens is marked STM so I'll keep it for use on the next camera. This was the main thing helping me to decide what to do with the 40d and what to get next.
  • Memory card: I never liked the CF cards (pin-and-hole connection is fragile), so changing to something using regular SD cards is a plus to me (other stuff I have uses them too). I'll dump the CF cards I have with the body since nothing else I have uses that card.
  • Batteries, shutter release, strap etc.: No problem jettisoning those with the body. Nothing else I have uses them. 
  • Shutter Count: I can't get that now. After 3 (that's right, THREE) uses of the USB, the port stopped working. Unbelievable, terrible quality. The 40d is worth so little now it's not worth fixing.Since the USB pooped out, the effective value of my 40d body is about $0. So there won't be any "cashing out." They only fetch about $100 on ebay now at best anyway and it would cost at least that much to fix it. I am very disappointed with the 40d and look forward to giving it away to a charity. 

The 40d was SO bad that I thought about moving to nikon but since my current lens still works and I can use it on the next body, I'll try one more canon. But this will be the last one. If I continue to get mediocre 40d-type photos and have any more build/quality problems, the whole thing will go. I loved my old 35mm FT (not FTb, FT). That one (with a Vivitar wide angle lens) took the best photos of any camera I've ever had. It finally started having shutter problems so I got an AE-1 black body. At any rate, my experience with those were why I stayed with canon. 

I won't bother with a 90d as I don't want to spend that much money on a camera that will be worth $100 in a few years. I'm going with an older model that can do video and has already depreciated some (less to lose if this next one is as bad as the 40). I'm looking at a 70d now. Maybe an 80d but the 70d looks like it will do what I want it to do as far as video is concerned. 

I really do appreciate your help. I'm just so disappointed and disgusted with the 40 at this point that I had to rant a little. 

Be very careful about buying a 70D for video. That model has a reputation for a motherboard failure due to overheating when shooting video. It required a quite expensive repair. Canon eventually started doing the repair for free, but that may not apply to a camera bought used. You should either verify that it does or seek evidence that the repair was already made to any unit that you consider buying.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I went with a refurb 80d from the canon online store. 

@srd-software wrote:

I went with a refurb 80d from the canon online store. 

Sounds like a sensible choice. Canon refurbs have an excellent reputation.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I'm hoping that's the case. It was the best deal I could find (including amazon). I've been reading the manual on the 80d and it looks very promising as far as function and capability.

@amfoto1 wrote:

- USB... A new USB cable will be provided with the 90D. Your old one might work, too. Those cables are pretty standard.

Hope this helps!

Alan Myers

Minor nit:

Canon assumes you will go wireless. USB cords are no longer included.

Announcements