cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

40D Focusing Dots

tastas
Apprentice

I have a Canon 40D which I've been using for birds in flight.  It works very well with my 400mm 5.6 L lens.  Typically, I choose a focusing dot--usually the middle one.  (1 red dot in the middle and 8 dots around). 

Question: Why has the top dot begun to stay lit?  For example, I chose the center dot--it lights up but the top dot stays lit.

I can choose any of the focusing dots, but the top dot always stays lit with the one I choose.  Always two dots lit.

Can anyone out there in cleverland explain why this has begun to happen and how it may affect focusing? Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

That sounds like a malfunction to me, if it is always the same AF point.  What about different shooting modes?  What lights up in Green [A] mofe?  What lights up if you select MF mode, and lock focus?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks...i use manual. I checked a couple of other modes...Same AF point stays on. I'll check some more..

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" Always two dots lit."

Does the 40D still work?  AF is fine?  If, yes, ignore it as repair will likely be greater than a good, working, used 40D.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It still works.  Not sure if it lessens the focusing accuracy.  Thanks for the message.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements