cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

32 gb card and video

hotdog1266
Apprentice

Any idea on why I can take long videos using my 8 and 16 gb cards but when I use a 32gb  card it stops in less than 1 minute?

4 REPLIES 4

hsbn
Whiz
Is the card formatted? What is the card speed? Speed is more important than capacity.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

30MB/s Class 10 the same as my 16GB

Have you tried to perform Low Level Formatting? Or can you borrow any other 32Gb card to try. Maybe that card is malfunction.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

HDCamTeam
Enthusiast
Hi,

Before anything: what Camera and memory card (brand and exact model) are you using?

Different cards achieve different writing Speeds even if they state to be same class and have max. writing speed of 30 MB/s (that's only a peak, in best case, not sustained at all).

Did you see a buffer overflow / filling icon appearing on the screen when camera stopped recording?

What you describe (if the card was low-level formatted and keeps with sane problem) seems to be: either the card is not fast enough or it is deffective.

.As an additional test you can use a card reader connected to a Computer to fill the card with files and check the transfer speed, and if it does it completely right.

If possible test the Camera using different brand 32GB card. SanDisk and Lexar are excellent (but of course they also have different models with different speeds)

Regards
HD Cam Team
Group of photographers and filmmakers using Canon cameras for serious purposes.
www.hdcamteam.com | www.twitter.com/HDCamTeam | www.facebook.com/HDCamTeam
Announcements