cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30D error 99

Billyjaxin
Contributor

Yes, another error 99 question!
I'm a newbie to dslr's but not to troubleshooting / repair in general. I don't know what normal behavior is for the 30D
It's a used camera from kijiji so I don't know its history. When I first got it, it would take one pic and after that gave the error 99. Now the error comes up immediately. No mirror movement, nothing.
The lens does seem slightly stiff but it doesn't work with a new lens at the store, either.

- Does the 30D shutter operate with no lens attached? With no lens, I get nothing. No mirror movement.
- If the shutter is faulty, should the mirror still flip when I attempt to take a photo?
What other possiblilites can I eliminate on my own?

I currently have the batteries out as was suggested to another poster.

Thanks for any tips.

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Sounds like a failure in the mirror assembly.  If you have battery in and select sensor cleaning mirror should go up and shutter open. Try that. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you. I was going to delete my question after finding that I'd asked it months ago (the camera has been sitting in a drawer), But I hadn't recieved this piece of advice. Not sure I had even mentioned that the mirror wasn't moving.

Nothing happens at all though. No sound of something trying to move.
So, if the shutter is worn out or stuck, the mirror should still flip?

btw on "clean" it seemed to get stuck in that mode. Which does make me wonder whether something is physically preventing it from completing.

You can buy a used one for about $140. Most likely not worth fixing. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements