Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

300D power problem

I cannot turn on the camera. The access lamp will flash once (long) followed by a short flash.

Two fully charged batteries an three CF cards were tried.

This seemed to happen after I deleted all photos on the CF cards. Could this have caused the problem?

Ron T
Have a GREAT Day!
Reputable Contributor

Re: 300D power problem

I don't think CF card can cause the camera to do that. Maybe it's a battery  problem. This camera is kind of old already. So the battery may not be working anymore. Is there a way that you can get a new battery?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply but,I have new fully charged batteries and neither worked. One is OEM and one is after-market

Ron T
Have a GREAT Day!
Reputable Contributor

Check to see if the battery contact is still good. Then try to reset the camera by taking out the backup battery also.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide
Esteemed Contributor

In a reply about a similar problem a while ago someone suggested VERIFYING that the switch for the CF card door is being activated by the door. Never having owned a Rebel I can't tell you exactly how it's activated but it may be by a small pin on the door which may be breakable. Take a carefull look at the door & area to see if you can see what might be a switch & if you find it & see how it should have been activated try a toothpick or like item to depress it & see if that fixes it.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
New Contributor

Both batteries indicate fully charged on the battery charge and check good with a voltmeter.

The battery and cover switch also seem good since inserting a battery and closing the battery cover activate the access light.

Update - the access light will illuminate for one long flash followed by two Short flashes.

Ron T
Have a GREAT Day!
New Contributor

After speaking with Canon tech servcs, it was determined that the camera was indeed defective. I took advantage of the Loyalty Program and exchanged for a t2i body which suits my needs for still photohraphy.
Thanks you to all who offered assistance.
Have a GREAT day!
Ron T
Have a GREAT Day!