cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

300 DPI photos for Canon 6D

parklandphotos
Apprentice

How do I program my Canon 6D camera to get 300 dpi photos?

39 REPLIES 39

A photo on your screen is shown as picture pixels. A photo on a screen has only a 'size' in pixels. So forget the dpi as it has no relevance here.

"...  in your case quit before you get further behind."  Now see what happened?  You got further behind!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

A photo on your screen is shown as picture pixels. A photo on a screen has only a 'size' in pixels. So forget the dpi as it has no relevance here.

"...  in your case quit before you get further behind."  Now see what happened?  You got further behind!

Obviously, you do not know how JPEG [not RAW] images are actually reproduced on your screeen.  Like I said, JPEG images are literally printed on your screen at the resolution specified by the metadata in the file.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

No wonder I have all these jpegs sticking to my screen! They are *literally* printed there!

What you said is really software dependent. Since jpeg and Exif are two different standards, they really don't have anything to do with each other.

"Obviously, you do not know how JPEG [not RAW] images are actually reproduced on your screeen."

"...  in your case quit before you get further behind."

You are going to get so far behind we won't be able to tell if it is you. Smiley Happy

It's OK because you are not the only one that gets confused with dpi.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Obviously, you do not know how JPEG [not RAW] images are actually reproduced on your screeen."

"...  in your case quit before you get further behind."

You are going to get so far behind we won't be able to tell if it is you. Smiley Happy

It's OK because you are not the only one that gets confused with dpi.

I am not confused about DPI.  I'm talking about scaling images for display at actual size on your monitor.  None of you seem to understand understand how software actually produces an image on your screen. 

The above comment about MS Paint proves my point.  And, he came so close to the truth, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Last try at bringing you dragging and resisting into the digital age.

A digital image, on its own, has no inherent resolution.  It is just pixels. The width and height of the image is its pixel dimensions, and that's all a monitor requires.

The size at which an image appears on your monitor depends only on two things. The pixel dimensions of the image and the display resolution of your screen. No matter what you set the image's resolution in Photoshop, 72 dpi or 300 dpi it will have no effect  on how large or small the image appears on the screen.

That's because image resolution affects only one thing. The size of the image when it's printed. By setting the resolution in Photoshop, you tell the printer, not the screen, how many of the pixels in the image to squeeze into an inch of paper. The more pixels you're squeezing into every inch of paper, the smaller the image will appear when printed. The more pixels you print per inch, the higher the print quality.

Where you lose it is in the Document Size menu of Photoshop.  PS does seem to perpetuate the dpi myth you cling to so dearly.

The Document Size section tells you how large the image would currently appear on paper if we were to print it. It tells you the print size and has no effect at all on how the image appears on screen.  Photoshop may set the resolution of a photo to 72 dpi. But directly above is the Resolution option with the Width and Height boxes.  That is the important part and why it is first.

If your photo will only be viewed on your monitor, no matter on the web,  email, or whatever, there is simply no logical reason  you would need to set the resolution to 72 dpi in Photoshop. Unless you're printing the photo, you don't need to worry about image resolution at all.

I doubt this 72 dpi screen resolution myth will go away any time soon but it can start with you!  Smiley Frustrated

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

B from B,

"... but if the "someone" is running a juried show... but will smile and do as you're told."

Or laugh it off as that has to be a amateurish uninformed 'show'!  Not worth submitting even if you win it.

Is the Griffin Museum of Photography considered amateurish and uninformed west of St Louis? They're the ones that insisted on a specific ppi. (As it happens, it was 72, not 300, but that's an implementation detail.) Not that following the rules did any good. My wife and I submitted a total of 16 pictures that I thought were pretty good, but none of them were accepted. I guess we'll try again, and follow the rules again, next year.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Maybe not amateurish, but certainly uninformed.

Bob from Boston,

"Is the Griffin Museum of Photography considered amateurish and uninformed ..."

Credibility not with standing, the person that did the acceptance forms for entry is "amateurish and uninformed".

EB

I have actually sent them an email to ask why. It is really strange for this one because they request a dpi of 72 and then turn around and ask for the "framed size" of the print. Isn't that what the dpi field is *for*?

Announcements