cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

300 DPI photos for Canon 6D

parklandphotos
Apprentice

How do I program my Canon 6D camera to get 300 dpi photos?

39 REPLIES 39

Bob from Boston,

"Obviously Ernie didn't believe me, and I guess you didn't either."

Obviously, you are a suborn man Bob from Boston!  Smiley Happy   I did and do understand you don't understand what dpi is.  I tried anf failed to help you understand. For that I am sorry but people like those 'judges' don't help when they consistently ask for something that doesn't matter.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob from Boston,

"Obviously Ernie didn't believe me, and I guess you didn't either."

Obviously, you are a suborn man Bob from Boston!  Smiley Happy   I did and do understand you don't understand what dpi is.  I tried anf failed to help you understand. For that I am sorry but people like those 'judges' don't help when they consistently ask for something that doesn't matter.

If you actually don't think I understand what dpi is, I can't think of anything more to say on the subject.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

B form B,

"I can't think of anything more to say on the subject."

That is the point and problem, Bob.  Smiley Frustrated

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob from Boston,

"Is the Griffin Museum of Photography considered amateurish and uninformed ..."

Credibility not with standing, the person that did the acceptance forms for entry is "amateurish and uninformed".

I'll let you be the one to tell her that. Just don't mention my name.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

B from B,

"I'll let you be the one to tell her that. Just don't mention my name."

Don't worry.  I have no interest in it.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

300 dpi is a printing spec, not a camera spec.

EB

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Perhaps the organization is also creating a printed document as a record of the event/competition and they want to be sure they can reproduce quality images?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I would not want my images printed without my involvement. And again, it is easy enough to overide the dpi and print whatever size you want.

But the display thing is obviously untrue. with the exception of paint, all the programs I use on the PC open the images at a reasonable size, certainly not the default 72dpi that Canon has in its images!

"But the display thing is obviously untrue."

It must be a hard concept to understand.

EB

"But the display thing is obviously untrue. with the exception of paint, all the programs I use on the PC open the images at a reasonable size, certainly not the default 72dpi that Canon has in its images!"

Do you actually think Canon picked 72 DPI?  Let me tell you where it came from.   It is also currently the resolution standard used for displaying images on web pages, for historical reasons.

Once upon a time when PCs were first invented, text used to produced as an 8x8 dot matrix, both on your screen and on your dot matrix printer.  A single dot was used to separate adjacent characters.  This meant that each character occupied 9 pixels, and if you wanted to display 8 characters per inch, then you required 72 DPI to reproduce 8 characters per inch.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Full size" images are displayed on your screen at a lower resolution than what is actually saved in many files.  So, how do they go from X megapixels to your screen resolution?  As noted, MS Paint displays images without scaling the pixels to fit the screen.  Obviously, the images are rescaled in some fashion.  Depending upon the desired result, the scaling can be done in different ways.

To make a long story short, groups of pixels in the image file are averaged to produce one pixel that you see on your display.  At 300 DPI, that is approximately a 4x4 matrix [for a 72 DPI display] of pixels are processed to produce a single pixel of a given color.  A larger matrix, 8x8, would be capable of yielding higher color resolution per pixel.  A smaller matrix, 2x2, would have less color resolution. 

So, the "playing field is leveled" by requiring everyone to produce images at a specific DPI, and canvas size, so that everyone's images are scaled for viewing equally.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements