cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 X 3 Grid In 7D Viewfinder

Eliza2018
Contributor

I have had a 7D for several years and it seems to me that, in the past, it displayed the 3x3 grid in the view finder, as it does on the LCD screen, which seems to be completely unavailable to me, now.  Is there any way to force the camera to display it?

14 REPLIES 14

@Eliza2018 wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Eliza2018

I think you may be trying to follow the rule too slavishly. 

I agree, but I am taking courses and have to meet course criteria. I did do some more reading and apparently, the multi-line grid in the optical view finder is more for architectural photography, to keep the picture level and buildings vertical. I did find an interesting article about creating your own grids, if you have Magic Lantern installed. It was an interesting exercise, but, of course, they can be viewed only on the LCD. It was an interesting way to waste time.

I suspected as much, but I figured I'd better stop short of encouraging you to call out the course instructor. Such actions tend to do more harm than good.  Smiley Wink

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

grid.jpg

You should be able to guesstimate from the existing grid. Actually, the gaps in the focus area are pretty close.

Another thing to do is to zoom out a bit and then crop to get the exact composition you want.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"It was an interesting way to waste time."

So is Magic Lantern, don't do it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

So is Magic Lantern, don't do it.

Is ML problematic?  I installed it because I wanted to do some time-lapse photography and it worked well.  When I don't want to use it, but forget to press the Set button while booting, the ML menu can interfere. Other than that, it seems okay.

"Is ML problematic?"

You have been lucky.  When it works it is fine. When it doesn't, it is a nightmare. If, when, it does, your camera will turn into a brick. Only Canon service can repair it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements