cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 X 3 Grid In 7D Viewfinder

Eliza2018
Contributor

I have had a 7D for several years and it seems to me that, in the past, it displayed the 3x3 grid in the view finder, as it does on the LCD screen, which seems to be completely unavailable to me, now.  Is there any way to force the camera to display it?

14 REPLIES 14

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You should have ...

Grid display

Off

Grid 1

Grid 2

... selections.  Do you see that menu?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1

... selections.  Do you see that menu?

I do and it is set to Grid 1 which causes the 3 x 3 grid to display on the LCD, which is what I want, but I also want it in the viewfinder.  With the VF grid display set to enable, I have six columns and four rows in the viewfinder (5 vertical lines, three horizontal), despite choosing Grid 1. This is not useful for composition, since the two outer columns are narrower than the center four and this is, at best, distracting.  I know I can approximate a third, vertically and horizontally, but I would like to understand the point of the 6 x 4 grid?

Oh, OK for the view finder.......

Turn the < Main Dial > to select the 2nd Tools menu.

Turn the < Quick Control Dial > to select  VF grid display, then press SET

Turn the < Quick Control Dial > to select  Enable, then press  SET

This grid will be displayed in the viewfinder.

G0064334.gif

If I remember correctly this is the only grid for the view finder but it has been a while since I owned my 7D.

EB

Thank you, but that is the grid that I find unhelpful.  The 3 x 3 on the LCD is so much easier to use for composition, but the LCD is no good for hand-held (for me).  I appreciate your effort.  Guess I will have to live with it.

One question I have is how a square grid fits onto a non-square image? How does the rule-of-thirds work in that case?

The grid on the 7D (LCD only) is rectangular.  Sort of like this:

Grid1.png

Yeah, I don't think the 7D does that in the VF.

EB

@Eliza2018 wrote:

The grid on the 7D (LCD only) is rectangular.  Sort of like this:

Grid1.png

The "rule of thirds" can provide a rudimentary explanation for why some compositions look better than others. But I think you may be trying to follow the rule too slavishly. It's a tool to help you make compositional decisions, not a limit on your artistic sense.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Eliza2018

I think you may be trying to follow the rule too slavishly. 

I agree, but I am taking courses and have to meet course criteria. I did do some more reading and apparently, the multi-line grid in the optical view finder is more for architectural photography, to keep the picture level and buildings vertical. I did find an interesting article about creating your own grids, if you have Magic Lantern installed. It was an interesting exercise, but, of course, they can be viewed only on the LCD. It was an interesting way to waste time.

Announcements