cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2X Extenders

ferrarofilms
Apprentice

I do mainly Video and timelapse, my main lens for wildlife is Canon 70-300 L, on a 70D in video mode it can give me up to near 1500mm for close ups (fire and retain breath please). Sometimes if the subject allows me, after doing my video footage, I shoot photos and -as you can imagine, 300mm (480 on apsc) is not that near and feel the need for longer lens, price and weight that can not afford, 71 and pensioneer right now. After studying for over a year the likelihod of getting an extender for the 70-300 I decided to give it a go with the KENKO C-AF 1.4X TELEPLUS PRO 300, not with some reticence because I am aware that the tradition with Kenko, Tamron, Sigma, Vivitar, etc.on past decades was to made cheap poor lens. I got a Sigma 18-35 F1.8 now and wow!

For my surprise.... the extender works very well with the lens, the AF is as fast as the lens alone and the quality of the picture, after a 16X blow up is still pretty decent. I do F8-11at least on my shooting (F16+ on video) but the trial was made at full aperture.

Now I'd like to push the envelope or at least ask for some real experience about it, Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 DGX-E 2.0X.

I am aware that the autofocus at f11 is off but I am only concerned about the resolution image and quality in general, I normally work in manual mode since the Canons A-1 of the seventies and of course later in videothru 5 diffrent formats...

Thanks in advance

Carlo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

What is the question?  Are you asking if the IQ will still be good?  If you are we both no it won't.  But it may be satisfactory to you and that is what matters.  Not what I think about it.

As converters go the Kenko is a good one.  So is the Sigma version.  I don't like tele converters and never use any of the 2x models.  However, I have had good luck with my Canon 1.4x II on the ef 70-200mm f2.8L II lens.  I guess for a person with no other option, that is a viable one.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

What is the question?  Are you asking if the IQ will still be good?  If you are we both no it won't.  But it may be satisfactory to you and that is what matters.  Not what I think about it.

As converters go the Kenko is a good one.  So is the Sigma version.  I don't like tele converters and never use any of the 2x models.  However, I have had good luck with my Canon 1.4x II on the ef 70-200mm f2.8L II lens.  I guess for a person with no other option, that is a viable one.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@ferrarofilms wrote:

I do mainly Video and timelapse, my main lens for wildlife is Canon 70-300 L, on a 70D in video mode it can give me up to near 1500mm for close ups (fire and retain breath please). Sometimes if the subject allows me, after doing my video footage, I shoot photos and -as you can imagine, 300mm (480 on apsc) is not that near and feel the need for longer lens, price and weight that can not afford, 71 and pensioneer right now. After studying for over a year the likelihod of getting an extender for the 70-300 I decided to give it a go with the KENKO C-AF 1.4X TELEPLUS PRO 300, not with some reticence because I am aware that the tradition with Kenko, Tamron, Sigma, Vivitar, etc.on past decades was to made cheap poor lens. I got a Sigma 18-35 F1.8 now and wow!

For my surprise.... the extender works very well with the lens, the AF is as fast as the lens alone and the quality of the picture, after a 16X blow up is still pretty decent. I do F8-11at least on my shooting (F16+ on video) but the trial was made at full aperture.

Now I'd like to push the envelope or at least ask for some real experience about it, Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 DGX-E 2.0X.

I am aware that the autofocus at f11 is off but I am only concerned about the resolution image and quality in general, I normally work in manual mode since the Canons A-1 of the seventies and of course later in videothru 5 diffrent formats...

Thanks in advance

Carlo

If you are use to shooting video, most Canon cameras can focus up to f/11 using LiveView.

So if you are taking your stills with LiveView, the camera may AF even at f/11.

Announcements