cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2018: How to tether Canon 5D?

PhotographyNewb
Contributor

I just purchased a 5D to get a feel for what it's like to shoot full frame. I'd like to be able to shoot tethered like I am able to do with my 700D. I'm on Windows 10 64 bit and using Lightroom Classic CC.

Is there a way for me to connect a USB cable from my camera to my computer and shoot tethered? If not, are there reasonably priced alternatives? I'm wondering if I should look into getting a wireless SD card and put it in an SD to CF adapter. Would that even work?

19 REPLIES 19

I suggest you give it a go.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hi, have you found a way to shoot tethered with the 5D?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I should look into getting a wireless SD card and put it in an SD to CF adapter."

I doubt that will work either.  At any rate it won't be easy.  Smiley Sad

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I should look into getting a wireless SD card and put it in an SD to CF adapter."

I doubt that will work either.  At any rate it won't be easy.  Smiley Sad

Adapter?  Nope, I doubt that arrangement would work. 

The camera was introduced over a decad ago, 2005(?), so the firmware probably does not even know what wireless even means.  Wireless cards were produced for specific bodies, which were running specific firmware versions.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

lly3988
Rising Star

@PhotographyNewb wrote:

I just purchased a 5D to get a feel for what it's like to shoot full frame. I'd like to be able to shoot tethered like I am able to do with my 700D. I'm on Windows 10 64 bit and using Lightroom Classic CC.

Is there a way for me to connect a USB cable from my camera to my computer and shoot tethered? If not, are there reasonably priced alternatives? I'm wondering if I should look into getting a wireless SD card and put it in an SD to CF adapter. Would that even work?

Yes. adapter will definitely work. I don't have the 5D any more but I have tested it with my long sold 5D and it worked quite well when I used the T brand wireless SD adapted to a CF adapter.

It allows viewing images on my android phone and tablet. You may download the images as well. You may also set up to transmit images to your PC.

If for tethering for shooting, you may not be able to shoot from the smart phone/android because there is no liveview and I used DSLR controller app but it won't support. May be LR will work but remember, there is no liveview and function is quite limited.

https://blogs.msmvps.com/mickyj/blog/2014/09/17/experimenting-with-turning-my-canon-eos-5d-camera-in...

shaunkim
Apprentice

There is no way to make 5D tether with L/R and C/O.

5D has a tecmical problem and canon couldn't fix it. If you really want to make 5D tether, you can use this program. 

https://www.tethertools.com/tethering-software/darktable/

I succefuly made it with this.

hope you can find your way.

with best

JB 

This (https://www.tethertools.com/tethering-software/darktable/)

does not work as of 8/2/2021 with the canon 5D (classic). tethertools seems to be losing their touch.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Make sure you have an Intel chipset, not AMD
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks. I guess i'm stuck with the windows 7 laptop setup. the home studio....POOF!

Announcements