Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Re: 2018: How to tether Canon 5D?

VIP

I suggest you give it a go.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Highlighted
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PhotographyNewb wrote:

I just purchased a 5D to get a feel for what it's like to shoot full frame. I'd like to be able to shoot tethered like I am able to do with my 700D. I'm on Windows 10 64 bit and using Lightroom Classic CC.

Is there a way for me to connect a USB cable from my camera to my computer and shoot tethered? If not, are there reasonably priced alternatives? I'm wondering if I should look into getting a wireless SD card and put it in an SD to CF adapter. Would that even work?

Yes. adapter will definitely work. I don't have the 5D any more but I have tested it with my long sold 5D and it worked quite well when I used the T brand wireless SD adapted to a CF adapter.

It allows viewing images on my android phone and tablet. You may download the images as well. You may also set up to transmit images to your PC.

If for tethering for shooting, you may not be able to shoot from the smart phone/android because there is no liveview and I used DSLR controller app but it won't support. May be LR will work but remember, there is no liveview and function is quite limited.

https://blogs.msmvps.com/mickyj/blog/2014/09/17/experimenting-with-turning-my-canon-eos-5d-camera-in...

g16
New Contributor

Hi, have you found a way to shoot tethered with the 5D?

New Contributor

There is no way to make 5D tether with L/R and C/O.

5D has a tecmical problem and canon couldn't fix it. If you really want to make 5D tether, you can use this program. 

https://www.tethertools.com/tethering-software/darktable/

I succefuly made it with this.

hope you can find your way.

with best

JB