cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1DX with Eye-fi

mitch236
Contributor

Hi.  New here.  I recently switched from a 5D Mark iii to the 1DX and would like to continue using my Eye-fi card to wirelessly tether.  I bought the CF to SD adapter and have gotten it to work sporadically but I wonder if there's a consistent way to "power" up the CF card slot to keep the Eye-fi card powered?  Any tricks?

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The only was is to lengthen the power off time option.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Not to sound too ignorant, but which item am I lengthening?  There are a few options.

Thanks,
Mitch

I figured it out.  Basically, the Eye-fi network is only available when there are new files to transfer and once that's done, the Eye-fi card stops transmitting.  I guess that's good enough.

You could also just get the Canon Wireless File Transmiter for the camera... WFT-E6A.

I have an Eye-Fi but never use it.  As you've already learned, to save power, the card stops transmitting and only wakes up when there is work to be done.  ALSO... it wont work while you're still actively shooting.  That means you have to shoot... then go idle so the camera realizes you aren't actively shooting... then it'll wake up and start transmitting.  That created a substantial delay that I found frustrating.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I wonder how hard (or even if possible) it would be to add "Power up CF card" or something similar to the firmware so that users like me can choose to power up their Eye-Fi cards (and similar products)?  I realize Canon probably doesn't want to use their Activate Eye-Fi since the 1DX doesn't support SD cards but maybe the same end result?

Announcements