cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1DX ii Minimum shutter speed in AV mode

settysphoto
Contributor

When using the AV mode on my canon 1dx ii with the 500mm f4 it determines the shutter speed based on the focal length used for hand holding which means it usually aims for around 1/1000th of a second but while it aims for this said shutter speed it ramps up the ISO to maintain the shutter speed at 1/1000th. The shutter speed does not need to be that high, i can quite easily hand hold it at 1/500 of a second which would bring the ISO down too.

If i use the 500mm lens on my 5D iii on AV mode the shutter speed & ISO it decides is much more reasonable because this camera does not determine what the shutter speed should be based on focal length.

Why isnt there a way to just turn the feature off on the 1dx? 

Maybe im missing something obvious?

Id really like to have it how my 5D iii is.

Is there a workaround from this issue?

20 REPLIES 20

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
“What would be the use case for not using Auto ISO? Not looking to be argumentative - looking to learn an alternate viewpoint.“

I frequently make panoramic shots. I set ISO manually when I capture them.

I want the camera to never control more than one leg of the exposure triangle.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Also, you can dial AEC in Manual with ISO set to Auto on most of the high performance bodies. When you set ISO manually, then AEC may become unavailable.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
“SO because the camera is setting the shutterspeed automatically the ISO shifts to match it so that the shutter isnt lower than what it wants it to be based off of the focal length.”

You should be able to disable all of that behavior. Make “Safety Shift” is disabled, too.

@Waddizzle wrote:
“SO because the camera is setting the shutterspeed automatically the ISO shifts to match it so that the shutter isnt lower than what it wants it to be based off of the focal length.”

You should be able to disable all of that behavior. Make “Safety Shift” is disabled, too.

You cant disable it, its on auto by default. The only other option it gives you is to set your own custom minimum shutterspeed.

It defeats the purpose of AV mode imo so realistically you may aswell just use manual mode and not even have the AV mode on the 1dx ii

"Safty Shift" was also disabled.

Thinking about it now, with what i just wrote i think thats the answer.
To set a custom minimum shutterspeed extremely low that in normal cases it would never reach. But still there should just be an off option, you shouldn't need to have to set a minimum shutterspeed period.

Check pg 168 of your manual and see if you didn't inadvertenty dial in a setting. At the "0" poistion the camera selected minimum shutter speed is 1/FL.

This is a new adjustment added to the 1D X Mk II.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Check pg 168 of your manual and see if you didn't inadvertenty dial in a setting. At the "0" poistion the camera selected minimum shutter speed is 1/FL.

This is a new adjustment added to the 1D X Mk II.

Here's what happened the other day, I was outside and it was reading 1/1000th at AUTO ISO 3200 in AV mode.

The position of that setting was and has always been set to "0"

So why did it choose 1/1000th at ISO 3200 when it could have picked 1/500th at ISO 1600?

That's what makes me believe even with the setting on "0" it is still picking the shutter speed based off of the focal length?

I’m not following your logic. It sounds like it isn’t setting shutter speed based on focal length. If it was it would select 1/500. 

I would suggest resetting camera to factory and clearing all custom settings if this is an important issue to you. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"I would suggest resetting camera to factory and clearing all custom settings ..."

I advised this a long tome ago.  It is what you need to do next and first off. I have only used a 1DX Mk II a few times but I use my 1DX  all the time. Unless something was drastically changed between the two I don't see what you are. Either that or the ef 500mm f4 is a unique lens and I don't have one to try for you.

The biggest lens I can put on my 1DX right now is the Siggy 150-600mm S.  I set the Av to f16 and ISO to 100.  The camera selected a SS which would be impossible for me to accomplish a sharp picture (1/30, 1/15, etc). Well below the 1/600 you would have expected if your thoughts were correct. 

When I set it to auto ISO (min ISO to max ISO) and had good light the 1DX did seem to try and stay at 1/500 (600mm lens) which you might expect.  However, when I pointed it to a really dark place the SS went very slow as expected. So slow you could not get a sharp picture. Do the reset.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Doesn’t that setting have slider? I notice mine is set for [Auto -3].

But, if am using that much focal length, that usually means I am shooting sports or wildlife. And if I shooting sports then I am using manual mode with ISO set to Auto.

The aperture and shutter stay fixed. I do not have to worry too much about settings. As long as nothing is blinking in the viewfinder, then I am good to shoot. I can put my attention on the shot composition and tracking subjects.
Announcements