cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1DX ii Minimum shutter speed in AV mode

settysphoto
Contributor

When using the AV mode on my canon 1dx ii with the 500mm f4 it determines the shutter speed based on the focal length used for hand holding which means it usually aims for around 1/1000th of a second but while it aims for this said shutter speed it ramps up the ISO to maintain the shutter speed at 1/1000th. The shutter speed does not need to be that high, i can quite easily hand hold it at 1/500 of a second which would bring the ISO down too.

If i use the 500mm lens on my 5D iii on AV mode the shutter speed & ISO it decides is much more reasonable because this camera does not determine what the shutter speed should be based on focal length.

Why isnt there a way to just turn the feature off on the 1dx? 

Maybe im missing something obvious?

Id really like to have it how my 5D iii is.

Is there a workaround from this issue?

20 REPLIES 20

PLee
Enthusiast
  1. C.Fn3: Exposure
  2. Set Shutter Speed Range
  3. Highest Speed = 500
  4. OK

Note that this is a global setting affecting all shooting modes when turned on.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
This is exactly why I like to use Manual mode with ISO set to Auto. My aperture remains constant. I can dial in any shutter speed I want

I like to program the [SET] button for AEC.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Are you sure you are using the same metering selection for both cameras?

Neither camera manual discusses what you are saying. Since both cameras are full frame the 1/FL of 1/500 should be the same for both cameras.

I would be surprised that the 1D X would be doing more "secret" adjustments than the 5D.

Edit: My expereince is the same as Ernie's below.

To quote: "I have never used the ef 500mm f4L lens on my 1DX so I can't speak of it. But none of my other lenses (teles) tell the camera what SS to use in Av."

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have never used the ef 500mm f4L lens on my 1DX so I can't speak of it. But none of my other lenses (teles) tell the camera what SS to use in Av. I use Av 80% of the time, too.  Maybe more!  I don't like auto ISO, preferring to set it where I want it and I want it to stay there. I have heard of folks setting M mode and auto ISO, then thinking they are in full manual.  That's nuts.

Try resetting your camera as you might have set something limiting SS or ISO or something.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I have never used the ef 500mm f4L lens on my 1DX so I can't speak of it. But none of my other lenses (teles) tell the camera what SS to use in Av. I use Av 80% of the time, too.  Maybe more!  I don't like auto ISO, preferring to set it where I want it and I want it to stay there. I have heard of folks setting M mode and auto ISO, then thinking they are in full manual.  That's nuts.

Try resetting your camera as you might have set something limiting SS or ISO or something.

From what i believe no matter what lens you put onto the 1dx ii the shutter speed in av mode is determined by the focal length.

This is my understanding anyway.

If you go to the red setting tab and go along one you'll see a setting called "ISO SPEED SETTINGS" once entering this you will see a Min. shutter spd. setting. if you press info on this it explains how it works and this is in canon's own words. 

"ISO speed is automatically shifted so that the value is not lower than the specified shutter speed."

futher down it says the following

"[Auto] The minimum shutter speed is set automatically based on lens focal length. This value can be adjusted slower or faster"

SO because the camera is setting the shutterspeed automatically the ISO shifts to match it so that the shutter isnt lower than what it wants it to be based off of the focal length.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
“ I have heard of folks setting M mode and auto ISO, then thinking they are in full manual. That's nuts. “

You are the only one who believes that. I even made s post about that approach and called it “Exposure Priority.”

@Waddizzle wrote:
“ I have heard of folks setting M mode and auto ISO, then thinking they are in full manual. That's nuts. “

You are the only one who believes that. I even made s post about that approach and called it “Exposure Priority.”

I would agree its not full manual, since there is an auto component.

But, I do agree its a solid approach. Typically one is going into manual mode becasue they want a particular shutter speed/aperture combination (otherwise they'd use Av or Tv). Allowing the ISO to change automatically allows that combination to be maintained and saves the time of switching ISO manually. What would be the use case for not using Auto ISO? Not looking to be argumentative - looking to learn an alternate viewpoint.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

" Not looking to be argumentative - looking to learn an alternate viewpoint."

I have no objection for using auto ISO.  It is just another setting. It is calling it manual mode that is wrong.  It is not "manual mode". That is my objection. I use manual model except.......... Smiley Indifferent

Personally I rarely to never use it because I usually want a certain ISO and I don't want it changing.  Maybe I don't want grain, whatever. I know I can set a range that it must stay in but that almost defeats the idea of using it in the first place. If I use manual, which I also rarely do, I want manual. My preferred mode is Av and in this use of the definition it is manual mode too except ... the camera lets the SS range freely.

Maybe it's just because I come from a  world that was truly manual so that is how I see it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

“I have no objection for using auto ISO.  It is just another setting. It is calling it manual mode that is wrong.  It is not "manual mode". That is my objection. I use manual model except.......... Smiley Indifferent

Take it up with Canon and Webster’s Dictionary.  That is the name of the shooting mode that Canon used.  BTW, if you use an autofocus lens when shooting mode is “Manual”, then I guess that is not “manual shooting”, either.

Announcements