cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1DX error code 20....

inkjunkie
Enthusiast

FIrst let me say I am glad I decided to join the CPS program. I recently purchased a used 1D-X body. Had approximatley 55k shutter actuations when I got it. Used the camera for a few months, shutter count was around 65K when I starterd getting Error Code 20 messages. Sent the body in, just got anemail saying that the shutter charge lever assembly needed to be replaced. Was it just my luck that this happened at such a low shutter count?

10 REPLIES 10

@inkjunkie wrote:

FIrst let me say I am glad I decided to join the CPS program. I recently purchased a used 1D-X body. Had approximatley 55k shutter actuations when I got it. Used the camera for a few months, shutter count was around 65K when I starterd getting Error Code 20 messages. Sent the body in, just got anemail saying that the shutter charge lever assembly needed to be replaced. Was it just my luck that this happened at such a low shutter count?

I guess the short answer is yes. As you undoubtedly know, the risk of that kind of luck is greater when you buy used equipment (unless the used equipment is a Canon refurb, which comes with a warranty).

I agree with your sentiment regarding the CPS program. But I have to say that I found Canon's customer service organization very helpful, even before I joined CPS.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I was a bit mislead when I purchased the body. I was told that it was my former "mentors" body...when I asked for a receipt so I could get insurance on my gear it was from another individual. If the body came from my mentor I know it was treated very carefully. I paid $2500 for it, so I guess in the end having to pay an additional $245 still makes it a pretty good deal.

DId a quick Internet hunt, seen on a few different forums that folks say shooting it at high speed continuous is very hard on the shutter...when I am at the drag strip the body is always on high speed continuous....so I am bit concerned about this happening...

" folks say shooting it at high speed continuous is very hard on the shutter..."

Of course it is.  Just using it at all is damaging. If you want it to last forever don't use it at all. Don't even touch it.  It will still be pristine a century from now.  You won't need CPS.

"... I am bit concerned ..."

About what?  Did you buy it to use it or look at it? Cameras are tools and tools need attention from time to time. Go use the 1DX as you see fit and don't give it another thought.  They are tough but give it a C&C once in a while and move on. It will do its job for a long time to come.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

as Ernie stated, it is a tool AND Canon stocks shutter assemblies for a reason because it is a known wear item.. Use it as needed and get the shutter replaced when necessary.  I have a feeling that extended video mode operation, which holds the shutter open along with generating far higher heat in the body than "normal" use, is much harder on the shutter.

The only way I have figured out how to prevent wear to the very expensive Michelin performance tires on my Z06 Corvette is not to drive it but that isn't any fun.  I shoot primarily sports and both my 1DX and 1DX 2 bodies are in high speed "drive" mode probably 85% of the time; enough that I have gotten very proficient in triggering only a single image when I wish in high speed mode 🙂  When the shutter assemblies need replacement they will get replaced.  Think how many shutters you can replace for what we spent on film and processing just a short time ago.  "Consumables" for digital devices are pretty cheap.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

"I have a feeling that extended video mode operation, which holds the shutter open along with generating far higher heat in the body than "normal" use, is much harder on the shutter."

I totally agree and it goes down as just one shutter click.

EB

What is with the perceived attitude? If you have a problem with me why did you not contact me privately? You sound like a keyboard commando...lol...

Camera was busted. The shutter charge lever asembly needed to be replaced. Last time I used the body I went to take pictures of the Eagles over in Idaho. Longest lens I had was a Sigma 120-300. My "mentor"...now former mentor...told me that I could use my Canon 2x Extender with the Sigma lens. Well...while it sort of worked it was far from perfect. Very slow to focus. Can't help but wonder if mixing lens/extender brands did not have anything to do with this.

Camera is repaired. Works flawlesly.

I suspect that is the case. The Canon TCs containg microcomputers to optimize performance with supported Canon lenses. 

"According to Chuck Westfall (Canon USA): "As with previous EF Extenders, usage of Series III EF Extenders lowers AF drive speed to improve AF performance. When Extender EF 1.4X III is used, AF drive speed is reduced by 50%. When Extender EF 2X III is used, AF drive speed is reduced by 75%. This may seem like a drawback, but in reality subject tracking performance remains quite high when Series III Extenders are used with IS II lenses. This is due to improvements in AF precision made possible by the new microcomputer in the extenders."  (from the-digital-picture dot com)

They really aren't unversal TCs.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"... I could use my Canon 2x Extender with the Sigma lens."

Why not use the Sigma tel-con with the Sigma lens.  Certainly a person that buys a $3500 lens can buy the correct extender?

I have one for my 120-300mm and it works. I don't like it but it works.  I don't like tel-cons in general, however. I have not tried it with my Canon tel-con.

_OS18544.jpg

EB
Announcements