cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1DX Mark II - photos only half exposed

mmcnel09
Apprentice

I have been mentoring a friend with his 1DX Mark II and lately he has been sending me photos that are only 1/2 exposed.

The top half is exposed normally, but the bottom half or so is either dark gray, light gray, or black - or appears to be very under-exposed.

I've been told that it is likely a bad memory card, so he purchased a new CF card and is still having the same issue. (see image below).

He says it is not every image, but frequent enough to cause concern.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

A12Y1514 Reduced.jpg

Canon FTB, A1, 10D, 20, 2X Mark IIn, 7D Mark II
5 REPLIES 5

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

That looks like it is probably a failing shutter assembly.  Time for a repair ticket with Canon.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thanks!

In the past on my Mark IIn's when the shutter failed I got horizontal or diagonal streaks of white.

I'll pass your info on to him. Probably ime for a Canon CPS diagnostic.

Peter
Authority
Authority

You can always ask your friend for a raw file. If the optical black area to the left also is affected it is not the shutter. To me, but I just watched the picture on my phone, the lines seem 100% straight horizontal. If that is true it is not the shutter.

Thank you for the response. He said he did not shoot in RAW.

@mmcnel09 wrote:

Thank you for the response. He said he did not shoot in RAW.

The optical black fields are not included in jpeg. But anyway, that camera will need a repair.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements