cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1DX MKII only showing 48 or 50 RAW images

bwalley
Contributor

I have a new 1DX MKII

In the viewfinder it shows only 48 frames in the viewfinder for RAW, I thought it would show 99, since it has a buffer of 170.

on my 1DX the 12 FPS shuttre sounds very consistent, on the 1DX MKII it fluctuates, it seems to go up and down.

What causes this?

I am using C Fast 256 GB Cards, tried 2 different ones, brand new.

26 REPLIES 26

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If you have your 1Dx2 set to backup every image, you'll only be shooting as fast as the slowest CF card allows, this is a big limitation despite CFast technology. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

bwalley
Contributor
I have just a Cfast card in it, highest I can get the indicator to show is 59 burst shots in the LCD.

I have it set to record only Large RAW.

If I set it to JPEG, it shows 99 bursts, with either a CF or a CFast card.

There is a thread on this subject here:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=29824.0

Mis-matched CF cards can be a problem.  If you only have one 'good' CF/CFast card in at a time I suggest you call Canon support.  You might do a clear all settings and try again, first.

EB

@bwalley wrote:
I have just a Cfast card in it, highest I can get the indicator to show is 59 burst shots in the LCD.

I have it set to record only Large RAW.

If I set it to JPEG, it shows 99 bursts, with either a CF or a CFast card.

Have you tested the buffer? 

Does it actually give you 170 shots before slowing, or does it only give you 50?

What happens to the buffer display as you are taking photos, does it drop from 50 immediately or start to drop later?

Do you have the camera set to only save to the Cfast card or to both cards at once?

I have the camera set to record Large JPeg to Card 1 (CF) Large RAW on Card 2 (CFast)

I put a empty card in slot 2, held it down for a while, it did slow some but never stopped, i had 269 shots, the number in the viewfinder got down to about 31.

With JPEG only using a CF Card, it doesn't really slow down and it will fill the card it seems.

The shutter seems to change speed somewhat, but hard to know if it is 14 FPS.

There is a setting in the camera that assigns priority for consecutive images: focus priority or shutter priority.  However, this setting should [not] have any affect on the displayed buffer size.  None.

Setting shutter priority allows for the highest frame rate.  Setting focus priority slows the camera until it can acquire a focus lock before it will activate the shutter.  I like to use focus priority, because i see no point in a high frame rate if the images are OOF.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

bwalley
Contributor
It only holds 1 CFast card, I tried 2 brand new cards, both 256GB 2.0, same thing is happening with both cards.

I formatted each card as required, fully charged battery.

The camera is 4 days old, CFast cards are 4 days old, lenses I have used are L series current model, 1 is a brand new 4 day old 70-200 f2.8L IS version II.

Go call Canon support.  Now!

EB

bwalley
Contributor
They have to call me back, their body is doing the same thing.
Announcements