cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1D X Functions locked

OMG3589
Apprentice

During a nature walk, my 1D X went from working fine to none of the functions working. The display is black. The menu and Info buttons do not work. Any thoughts?

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@OMG3589 wrote:

During a nature walk, my 1D X went from working fine to none of the functions working. The display is black. The menu and Info buttons do not work. Any thoughts?

When you say that the "display is black", I assume that means the rear LED, and both LCDs.  If you have a spare battery, then I would suggest that you try it.  Your problem could be as simple as a bad battery or charger.  An original 1D X battery should be close to "end of life" by now.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

OMG3589
Apprentice
I tried a new battery. The display shows the “sensor cleaning” during shut down but nothing else. The info button and menu buttons do not show on display.

OMG3589
Apprentice
The auto focus on the shutter button does not work but does work with the multi-function button. The Quick Control has no functionality. Cannot change any settings. The top LCD panel lights up and shows settings but none are changeable.

@OMG3589 wrote:
The auto focus on the shutter button does not work but does work with the multi-function button. The Quick Control has no functionality. Cannot change any settings. The top LCD panel lights up and shows settings but none are changeable.

All of this sounds really strange.  You should give Canon Support a call, 1-800-OK-CANON.  

You have made no mention of the red LED, card access, flashing when you turn it on or off.  Try removing the memory cards, and powering it up.  Also, does connecting something to the HDMI port blank the screen?  Check out all of the slots and ports.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tim
Authority

OMG3589, 

There are a few troubleshooting steps I'd like to help resolve this issue. We'll reset the camera, which should restore it to a default state. These steps should clear out the memory and thereby any errors which may be present.

- Anything attached or installed in the camera — memory cards, the lens, the battery, battery grips should all be removed.

- Once the lens is off let's check it using the steps below.

a) Clean the lens contacts* to restore connection with the body.

b) Try using a different memory card. All memory cards should be properly formatted in your camera prior to use.

*Warning - Do not clean lens contacts on either a Canon lens or the camera body with an eraser! It's easy to rub off the gold plating on these contacts and end up with data communication problems! Our strong recommendation is to use a soft, clean, micro fiber cloth. Please do not use anything abrasive.

c) Try using a different Canon EF series lens. It doesn't have to be the same focal length as the one you were using.

d) If you are using a third party lens, we recommend discontinuing its use. There can sometimes be communication error related issues with third-party lenses. Ensuring that you're using a Canon lens eliminates that as a potential factor in the error.

If the issues seem to persist the next step would be to send the equipment to Canon for service.

You may fill out an online repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service.

www.usa.canon.com/repair

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" Any thoughts?"

Yes!

The only thing you can try that will or might help is to remove anything, everything from the 1DX.  No lens, no CF card(s). 

Now get a fully charged battery, maybe you do need a brand new one as suggested above but the original is probably still good. Make sure your charger is charging, too! There is another keep alive battery in the battery grip compartment. I would replace it.  Now try turning it on again.  None of this is likely to work but its easy to do, so why not?

If you still don't get any response, you need to send it in for service.  I know it is out of warranty but send it to Canon.  Don't use a third party repair service. Always use Canon for any 1 series service until they no longer service it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements