Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1D Mark 2

Krisdl16
Contributor
Hey guys quick question!

My canon for some reason won’t turn on!
The batteries are fully charged but no luck.

Any ideas?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yeah. Seems like a battery/charging problem. The battery has to be charged at least 2 to 3 hours to get a full charge. If it stops charging after 15 minutes, then it's the battery problem and not the camera.

Go out and get some help from the repair shop, they may have something for you. NP E3 isn't always immediately available but if you rule out that the camera has a problem, you may consider to buy a replacement battery. Search online. (due to forum rules, can't suggest off brand products)

Post back if you find a solution.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Before you send it for repair/examination, I think it's a good idea to check the battery first. As you have mentioned " the top screen turns on only to flash an empty battery" it could probably be a weak battery - either not well charged or the battery is dead. Original batteries are good but third party batteries purchased from reliable source are sometimes as good but may not last that long. I used third party LP E6 for my 5D3 and never have a problem. (I would say 20% of the cost and 85% of the performance)

When you insert the battery into the charger, does it show full charge in a few minutes ? If so, the battery is at the end of it's cycle. You may misunderstand that the the battery is fully charged. Clean the contacts of the battery and the charger and try one more time. If you are certain that the battery is in good working condition, it may be the problem with the camera.

I have seen battery connection problem due to loose screw inside a 7D. But, since the top LCD panel showed sign of power supply, it could be some other problem.

Finally, don't get upset if you feel offended. Relaxed and enjoy your hobby.

lly3988
Rising Star
also please check the button battery CR2025 and replace it

"also please check the button battery CR2025 and replace it"

Has nothing to do with the 1D Mk II powering up.  It only keeps the date/time function alive.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Krisdl16
Contributor
You’re so helpful! I appreciate it so much!

The battery does say it is fully charged within idk, 15 minutes. I take it off the charger and plug it directly back in and it says it’s empty.

I wonder if the store will allow me to use a full battery to turn it on.

Yeah. Seems like a battery/charging problem. The battery has to be charged at least 2 to 3 hours to get a full charge. If it stops charging after 15 minutes, then it's the battery problem and not the camera.

Go out and get some help from the repair shop, they may have something for you. NP E3 isn't always immediately available but if you rule out that the camera has a problem, you may consider to buy a replacement battery. Search online. (due to forum rules, can't suggest off brand products)

Post back if you find a solution.

Krisdl16
Contributor
Well great, I will go do that! Thank you for all of your help!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Didn't say it was false just confusing as later you said, " I put a dead battery in the camera turns on ..."  But first you said, "My canon for some reason won’t turn on!"

Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements