cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1:1 aspect ratio not 1:1

boodabill
Contributor

Why is the 1:1 aspect ratio saved in RAW as a different proportion? I am tried of having to crop it back to 1:1? Does it make a difference in RAW which asprect ratio is selected?

Thanks in advence,

Bill

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@boodabill wrote:
No they appear with a larger than 1:1 ratio on the camera and in the EOS Utility once imported before I import them to Photos on Mac....

You did not answer my questions.  So, I will suggest that you read page 146 in the Instruction Manual on setting Aspect Ratio.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

Ok thanks, i got the answer from the manual: 

RAW images
The images will always be saved with the [3:2] aspect ratio. The selected aspect ratio information is added to the RAW image file. When you process the RAW image with Digital Photo Professional (EOS software), this allows you to generate an image with the same aspect ratio set for shooting. In the case of the [4:3], [16:9], and [1:1] aspect ratios, the lines to indicate the aspect ratio will appear during image playback, but they are not actually drawn on the captured image.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Stephen

Hi, Bill!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly which camera you're using, the software you're using to edit your photos, and the computer operating system you use (Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10, or macOS).

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue!

If you're in the United States, and this is an urgent support need, please click HERE to enter your product information and discover your support options. 

If you're outside of the USA, please click HERE to find support options in your country.

Thanks and have a great day!

Canon EOS 80D

using EOS Utility 3 to import

Editing in Mac Photos.

@boodabill wrote:

Canon EOS 80D

using EOS Utility 3 to import

Editing in Mac Photos.

I suspect that Mac photos is the problem.  Are you saving the files as JPG format?  Why don’t you use the Canon DPP application? Can Mac Photos process RAW files?  If not, I suggest that you try saving the files as RAW, and use DPP to process them.

No they appear with a larger than 1:1 ratio on the camera and in the EOS Utility once imported before I import them to Photos on Mac....

@boodabill wrote:

You did not answer my questions.  So, I will suggest that you read page 146 in the Instruction Manual on setting Aspect Ratio.

I save them as RAW, like I posted originally.( i want to edit in Photos and Lumix.)

As JPEGs they are also larger than 1:1

Ok thanks, i got the answer from the manual: 

RAW images
The images will always be saved with the [3:2] aspect ratio. The selected aspect ratio information is added to the RAW image file. When you process the RAW image with Digital Photo Professional (EOS software), this allows you to generate an image with the same aspect ratio set for shooting. In the case of the [4:3], [16:9], and [1:1] aspect ratios, the lines to indicate the aspect ratio will appear during image playback, but they are not actually drawn on the captured image.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Aspect ratio is a term that describes the dimensions of an image.  It is comparing the width to the height and expressing it in the form of a ratio. The aspect ratio of your images is primarily determined by the fixed physical dimensions of your camera's sensor. It is easier to crop in post.  If your camera doesn't have an aspect ratio selection, it is the only way to do it. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements