cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

write protected

fester76
Apprentice

I am having issues with my Rebel T2I. It keeps saying my card is write protected no matter what memory card I put in! I have tried 3 diffrent cards. Anyone else have this problem and know a solution? 

4 REPLIES 4

@fester76 wrote:

I am having issues with my Rebel T2I. It keeps saying my card is write protected no matter what memory card I put in! I have tried 3 diffrent cards. Anyone else have this problem and know a solution? 

SD cards have a write protection switch on the card. Change it to the other position and see if that cures the problem. Sometimes error messages mean what they say.  Smiley Happy

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

fester76
Apprentice
No I tired 3 different cards and switched the lock button on all of them and tried all ways and still the same thing

@fester76 wrote:
No I tired 3 different cards and switched the lock button on all of them and tried all ways and still the same thing

That news doesn't bode well for your T2i.  Take a careful look inside the memory card slot for foreign objects and bent pins.  Hopefully, the problem is something as simple as a piece of lint.  Otherwise, your camera may have died. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The write-protect tab on the edge of the memory card isn't anything special... it's just a simple piece of plastic that slides forward or backward and it's not in any way integrated into the electronics of the card itself.

Instead, SD card "slots" typically have a springy lever that rides along the edge of the card.  It senses the position of the tab (the spring is able to spring out... or is forced to stay in... depending on the position of the tab.)

It's possible something in the card slot is jamming it.  Shine a lot into the slot to see if you can notice any debris.  If there is something stuck in the slot, be GENTLE with it -- but see if you can remove it.  

If you don't see anything, you'll need to send the camera for evalutation and/or service.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements