cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless eos rebel t5i

Jenfielhauer611
Apprentice
I have a Canon eos rebel t5i and before I buy a wi-fi card. I want to know if it actually works and if it does is it going to be able to be used with the app.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I do have (and have used) the Eye-Fi cards ... they are horrendously slow (if you use one ... you'll understand why they went out of business.)  Basically you take the shot and wait a long time for it to show up on the computer.  Each JPEG takes many many seconds ... and things really get painful if you shoot RAW images (.CR2 files) ... those take ages for each image to appear.

If you are simply looking for a way to unload the camera to the computer, use a USB cable (or get an adapter such as an SDcard adapter).

If what you really want is wireless tethered shooting, there are better wireless solutions than an Eye-Fi card.  

I use the CamRanger with my 5D III (my 5D IV has built-in WiFi).  CamRanger plugs into the camera's USB port and the camera thinks it's doing a tethered shooting session with a computer.  They supply an app (either for smartphone/tablet or computer) that controls it.  You can remotely manage settings, shooting, etc.  It transfer thumbnails of each image to the client software and you can decide which of these you want transferred as a full image (so you're not wasting time transferring images that you know you wont want).

I noticed the CamRanger website currently says they're about to come out with CamRanger 2 in 2019... it will do 802.11ac (wireless "ac" WiFi is much faster than 802.11n, g, or older protocols.  It is technically capable of 1.3 Gigabits per second. 

There are other products that are similar to CamRanger.  If I wanted to do tethered shooting wirelessly... I think I might deliberately put-off buying anything until the CamRanger 2 comes out (to get 802.11ac speed ... even the largest RAW files should transfer in less than a second).

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I would not recommend it. The T5i is compatible with Eye-Fi card, but they are out of business. Toshiba is claiming to have a wi-fi card that uses Eye-Fi protocol, but I have not seen a report where someone has actually used it.

If your objective is to get photos from your camera to your phone I suggest you look into the Apple Lightning to SD Card Reader adapter.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I do have (and have used) the Eye-Fi cards ... they are horrendously slow (if you use one ... you'll understand why they went out of business.)  Basically you take the shot and wait a long time for it to show up on the computer.  Each JPEG takes many many seconds ... and things really get painful if you shoot RAW images (.CR2 files) ... those take ages for each image to appear.

If you are simply looking for a way to unload the camera to the computer, use a USB cable (or get an adapter such as an SDcard adapter).

If what you really want is wireless tethered shooting, there are better wireless solutions than an Eye-Fi card.  

I use the CamRanger with my 5D III (my 5D IV has built-in WiFi).  CamRanger plugs into the camera's USB port and the camera thinks it's doing a tethered shooting session with a computer.  They supply an app (either for smartphone/tablet or computer) that controls it.  You can remotely manage settings, shooting, etc.  It transfer thumbnails of each image to the client software and you can decide which of these you want transferred as a full image (so you're not wasting time transferring images that you know you wont want).

I noticed the CamRanger website currently says they're about to come out with CamRanger 2 in 2019... it will do 802.11ac (wireless "ac" WiFi is much faster than 802.11n, g, or older protocols.  It is technically capable of 1.3 Gigabits per second. 

There are other products that are similar to CamRanger.  If I wanted to do tethered shooting wirelessly... I think I might deliberately put-off buying anything until the CamRanger 2 comes out (to get 802.11ac speed ... even the largest RAW files should transfer in less than a second).

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

CamRanger is pretty cool but a tad expensive at over $300...wonder what the II will cost?

@John_ wrote:

CamRanger is pretty cool but a tad expensive at over $300...wonder what the II will cost?

I almost never use the Wi-Fi in my 6D because the performance is not what I expected.  It is far slower than USB at downloading files to a computer.  I was disappointed to discover that “Wi-Fi” does not mean “networkable.”  You need to buy the Canon Wi-Fi accessory for that functionality.  

It is great to use built-n Wi-Fi to control the camera remotely.  My son uses the Wi-Fi in his 80D a LOT with his iPhone as way to take better pictures without having to upgrade his phone to take quality pictures and share on social media.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

What Canon WiFi accessory?

@John_ wrote:

What Canon WiFi accessory?

The Canon WFT wireless file transmitters.

Never knew about those, at first look none of them say they are compatible with the EOS Rebel series cameras and they cost more than the camera does...at least the ones from Canon do.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@John_ wrote:

I almost never use the Wi-Fi in my 6D because the performance is not what I expected.  It is far slower than USB at downloading files to a computer.  I was disappointed to discover that “Wi-Fi” does not mean “networkable.”  You need to buy the Canon Wi-Fi accessory for that functionality.  

It is great to use built-n Wi-Fi to control the camera remotely.  My son uses the Wi-Fi in his 80D a LOT with his iPhone as way to take better pictures without having to upgrade his phone to take quality pictures and share on social media.

I'm not sure hat you are defining as "networkable" but the 6D will connect to a wifi network: http://downloads.canon.com/wireless/camera/EOS-6D-Connecting-Wireless-LAN-WPS.pdf

There are no WFT units that I am aware of for cameras with built-in wifi (and none for Rebel series that I am aware of).

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

I'm not sure hat you are defining as "networkable" but the 6D will connect to a wifi network: http://downloads.canon.com/wireless/camera/EOS-6D-Connecting-Wireless-LAN-WPS.pdf

There are no WFT units that I am aware of for cameras with built-in wifi (and none for Rebel series that I am aware of).

The built-in Wi-Fi of a 6D can connect to a PC through a LAN, using the EOS Utility.  Not all “Wi-Fi” enabled DSLRs can do that.

5C7C8758-C71B-4D53-81BC-0EF03EE007F5.jpeg

The above diagram does not show a connection to a local PC across a LAN.

5E5A0F74-7BAF-4FFF-A4BE-B342B5190428.jpeg

See the difference?

Announcements