Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will Canon T5i lense Fit for CanonT5 model

munirajuvfx
Contributor

i am not getting macro extension tubes for canon 1200D eos rebel T5, 

but for canon T5i are avilabele. 

if i take them will they fit to my canon 1200D t5 camera.

please replay soon....

3 REPLIES 3

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Any lens made for the T5i will fit and work on the T5 or vice versa.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The EOS Rebel T5 can use any Canon "EOS" lens, including extension tubes, focal length multipliers (a.k.a. teleconverters), etc. with one exception... Canon somewhat recently introduced "mirrorless" EOS cameras (the EOS M series) and they have their own set of lenses (designated "EF-M" lenses).  Since you do not own a "mirrorless" EOS camera, you cannot use the "EF-M" lenses.  But you can use everything else.

All lenses have a minimum focus distance (and you can find that info listed in the specs for the lens.)  The distance is measured from the focus mark on your camera body (that marks the position where the sensor is located inside the camera body.)

When you use "extension tubes", they move the entire lens forward (farther away from the sensor) and doing this allows the lens to come to focus on subjects which are closer than would otherwise be possible.  But this comes at the expense of shifting the entire focus range closer (meaning the lens will no longer focus to infinity.)

I have seen some extension tubes which are really intended for entirely manual lenses.  Since EOS lenses are electronically controlled (the camera has to communicate with the lens to control the aperture blades, for example) you need extension tubes which pass through the electronic signals between camera body and lens.  (the really cheap extension tubes don't do this.)

Also, when you use extension tubes, the focus distances marked on the lens barrel will no longer be accurate and you may find that you need to manually focus the lens (it's generally recommended that you do manually focus the lens.)

There are some true "macro" lenses available.  The Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM is the least expensive Canon "true" macro lens.  There is also an EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens (actually two of them... one of which is a high-end "L" series lens.) and a 180mm macro lens.  

True macro lenses allow focus on subjects which are so close that it can provide a 1:1 scale image of the subject.  That means the size of the image projected onto the sensor is the same size as the subject in real life.   

I use a US penny has an example... a penny has a dimater of about 19mm.  The sensor on your camera measures roughly 23mm wide by 15mm tall.  That means you could get so close to the penny that the entire penny would more than fill the frame of your camera and you'd have to crop off a couple of millimeters in height... but in width the penny would just barely fit in the frame with a few millimeters to spare.  That's pretty close!

Canon makes one more macro lens, but it's a specialty macro-only lens.  The MP-E 65mm lens is not only able to 1:1 scale... it can do 5:1 scale (the image on the sensor is 5x larger than the object is in real life).    Whereas other macro lenses could be used for other purposes besides macro (e.g. if you wanted to use a macro lens to do a portrait shoot, you could) the MP-E lens is intended ONLY for macro work (e.g. you could not use it as a portrait lens... unless you are doing a portrait shoot for people the size of insects.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

thank u so much

Announcements