cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why does my t6s camera

emdsd45-2
Apprentice

why does my t6s camera have washed out photos after I take picture. No blue sky and see no clouds

8 REPLIES 8

ScottyP
Authority

It would help a lot if you would post a sample picture or two. 

Offhand, I'd guess you just have more dynamic range in the shot than the camera can handle. If you get the exposure right on your subject, the sky will be overexposed and "blown out".  Instead of blue it will be almost white and there won't be much cloud detail. 

But it if you get the bright sky properly exposed, then your subject will be too dark. 

Sometimes you you just have to choose to have the subject right and blow out the sky. 

Using your flash in bright sunlight as fill light works very well as long as you are close enough.  The little pop up flash is only good out to about 15 feet.  The flash can act as fill flash and bring your subject up to proper exposure without having to blow out the sky. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

how do I send a few photos to show what my problem could be

@ScottyP wrote:

It would help a lot if you would post a sample picture or two. 

Offhand, I'd guess you just have more dynamic range in the shot than the camera can handle. If you get the exposure right on your subject, the sky will be overexposed and "blown out".  Instead of blue it will be almost white and there won't be much cloud detail. 

But it if you get the bright sky properly exposed, then your subject will be too dark. 

Sometimes you you just have to choose to have the subject right and blow out the sky. ...

Sometimes you just have to play the cards that you're dealt. And there's really nothing wrong with a white sky. Sometimes it actually works better than blue, depending on the other colors in the picture. And if all else fails, you always have the option to go B&W. And some of the better pictures my wife and I have taken have been almost monochromatic anyway. I.e., you might not realize they're color photos unless you mouse over the pixels.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I photograph trains, been doing it for years. I never had this problem with the Rebel T3i. No matter what settings I use ( I normally shoot using AV mode), the backfround is always washed out with the T6s. This is my second T6s. I few weeks ago I had same problems and returned the camera and was given another new one. Reason given was there was aprblem with the camera's sensor. The second camera worked well fist few days then the same problem occured with the newest camera I recieved last week.

I put the camera in live view and slowly panned an area and as I was panning I could see scene go from looking normal with blue sky and white puffy clouds to a complete wash out of the sky and colors like trees from green to a yellow appearance and back to normal look again

@emdsd45-2 wrote:

I photograph trains, been doing it for years. I never had this problem with the Rebel T3i. No matter what settings I use ( I normally shoot using AV mode), the backfround is always washed out with the T6s. This is my second T6s. I few weeks ago I had same problems and returned the camera and was given another new one. Reason given was there was aprblem with the camera's sensor. The second camera worked well fist few days then the same problem occured with the newest camera I recieved last week.

I put the camera in live view and slowly panned an area and as I was panning I could see scene go from looking normal with blue sky and white puffy clouds to a complete wash out of the sky and colors like trees from green to a yellow appearance and back to normal look again

What metering mode are you using?  The next time that happens try changing metering modes.  Evaluative Metering mode works best for me, for most shots.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks, will try that. i believe that makes sense.

Do you still have your T3i?

If so, set both cameras to the same exact settings and compare results. That would tell you if its a camera problem.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

If we are talking steam trains, most modern ones are dark, and to get any detail in them you would blow out the sky I was lucky with this one. It was so dirty that I got a lot of train detail and the sky is blue, too. Mainly because it is in full sun.:

IMG_5931.JPG

Announcements